Re: [mythsoc] And speaking of inserting oneself (or something) into the book . . .

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2002
      At 03:24 AM 3/8/2002 , Wendell wrote:
      >A coworker just showed me a copy of a new book called _Mad Dogs and
      >Englishmen_ by Paul Magrs. ...
      >It's about an author named Reginald Tyler who worked on this fantasy epic
      >called _The True History of Planets_ for all his adult life, starting in 1917
      >when he was "on leave from soldiering in France," till his death in 1974
      >after having moved in his retirement to Bournemouth with his wife Enid. He
      >taught at some Cambridge college where he belonged to a literary group called
      >the Smudgelings, the chief figure in which is another professor named
      >Cleavis. Cleavis was single and lived in a house with his brother Fred. The
      >Smudgelings sometimes met in a pub called the Book and Candle.

      This is fascinating. I shall have to start keeping a list of novels that
      are not inspired by Tolkien's works but which include fictionalized
      versions of Tolkien _himself_ as a character. To date the most noted such
      character is J.B. Timbermill, a rather off-the-rails Oxford professor of
      Anglo-Saxon in J.I.M. Stewart's sequence "A Staircase in Surrey".

      I think there are one or two others, but they don't come to mind, and
      they're not as extensive as this appears to be. (Even Timbermill is a very
      minor character who only appears on-stage twice, I think, in a 5-book
      series.) I do remember a short parodic piece somewhere about a Professor
      J.R.R. Talking.

      And then there are the fictionalized versions of Lewis, perhaps the best
      known of which is God's defense lawyer (I don't remember the character's
      name) in James Morrow's _Blameless in Abaddon_, a mighty verbal arguer who
      writes Christian children's fiction on the side.

      I know of exactly one fictionalized version of Charles Williams. He's in
      _Nor Fish Nor Flesh_ by CW's friend Gerard Hopkins, a novel which probably
      nobody here except me has read. (It's really bad.)

      I shall have to get this new book. A first for me: I've never read a
      Doctor Who novel. Whoever reads it first can give a report.

      David Bratman