Re: Mythcon

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 11, 1999
      Joan Marie Verba wrote:

      > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
      >
      > >I am new to the list, and wonder if someone can explain MythCon to me?
      >
      > Mythcon is the annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society. This year it was
      > combined with Bree Moot, the annual meeting of the Tolkien MENSA special
      > interest group. It was held July 30-August 2.

      I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention and
      an academic conference.

      MK
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 1999
        Mary Kay Kare wrote:

        > From: Mary Kay Kare <kare@...>
        >
        > Joan Marie Verba wrote:
        >
        > > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
        > >
        > > >I am new to the list, and wonder if someone can explain MythCon to me?
        > >
        > > Mythcon is the annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society. This year it was
        > > combined with Bree Moot, the annual meeting of the Tolkien MENSA special
        > > interest group. It was held July 30-August 2.
        >
        > I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention and
        > an academic conference.

        Yes, indeed. I tell people we're serious by day and silly by night.
        Mythcons have wonderful paper sessions and panel discussions on all
        sorts of things mythopoeic. There is a small art show and dealers'
        room. And at night we talk and sing and hold a masquerade and put on
        skits and read plays. You should come to one, Christine.

        Berni
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 1999
          In a message dated 8/11/99 8:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kare@...
          writes:

          > I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention
          > and an academic conference.

          There are several weird side-effects of the mixing of fans and academics at
          Mythcon. One of them, which luckily I didn't have to explain to many of the
          paper presenters at the 1994 Mythcon (where I was the chair), was that all
          those papers which were written by English professors and grad students were
          read and evaluated by a programming committee that consisted of a computer
          programmer, a commercial artist turned administrative assistant, a
          translator/technical editor/proofreader, and a mathematician.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
            Lisa reminded us: <<Everyone - Don't forget to bring your $$$. We accept
            cash, checks and
            traveler's checks (and Paypal if you really blew it). >>

            *sigh* It's coming soon, isn't it? Have a good time, everyone! Do some
            shopping for me! lol

            Bridges. !! I want to see some papers on the subject !! :-)

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • David Lenander
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
              Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
              is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
              http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

              David Lenander
              d-lena@...
              2095 Hamline Ave. N.
              Roseville, MN 55113
              651-292-8887
            • Matthew Winslow
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
                David Lenander [d-lena@...] wrote:
                > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
                > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
                > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

                I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
                Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

                A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon, I'd
                say.

                "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
                clothes."
                --Desiderius Erasmus
                Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
                  > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
                  > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
                  > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

                  >>I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
                  >>Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

                  >>>A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon,
                  >>>I'd say.

                  I liked that line myself. Neat to see Mythcon from a youngling's POV.---djb

                  "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
                  clothes."
                  --Desiderius Erasmus
                  Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Carol Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                    Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                    Thanks
                    Carol

                    Carol Mitchell listowner costumemidwest@yahoogroups.com
                    Come to the Chicagoland Costumer's Guild Halloween costume party/Anniversary celebration in Mount Prospect, IL 11/2/03 www.chicostume.org
                    We are running the masquerade(costume contest) at Windycon November 7-9 in Schaumburg. There will be two costume parties, one with an alien theme, one with a prize for silliest hat. www.windycon.org

                  • mkkare
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carol Mitchell <listcost25@y...> wrote:
                      > Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                      > Thanks
                      > Carol

                      Next year we will be holding Mythcon in conjunction with the UK
                      Tolkien Society's Tolkien 2005 celebration. More information is
                      available here

                      http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/about.html

                      We're going to be in Seattle in 2006 and Janet wants to do one in
                      Oklahoma for 2007.

                      MKK
                    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 27, 2004
                        Hi Carol -

                        As Mary Kay has already told you, we're going to be in Birmingham
                        England next year. There will be several of us doing the
                        WorldCon/TolkienCon (read MythCon) trip, including the Harrigans. Trying
                        to explain to friends why we can't join their organized tour because we
                        are doing TWO cons in August is fun <g>.

                        Watch this list for further information as people get their plans firmed up.

                        Mythically yours,
                        Lisa

                        Carol Mitchell wrote:

                        >Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?

                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                          Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                          Masquerade!

                          Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                            I've got it on the schedule -- who wants to be in charge? Don't all
                            stampede at once...

                            Janet

                            Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                            Masquerade!

                            Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                            Diamond Proudbrook

                            You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
                            how.
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                            Links