Mythcon

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 11, 1999
      >I am new to the list, and wonder if someone can explain MythCon to me?

      Mythcon is the annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society. This year it was
      combined with Bree Moot, the annual meeting of the Tolkien MENSA special
      interest group. It was held July 30-August 2.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Mary Kay Kare
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 1999
        Joan Marie Verba wrote:

        > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
        >
        > >I am new to the list, and wonder if someone can explain MythCon to me?
        >
        > Mythcon is the annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society. This year it was
        > combined with Bree Moot, the annual meeting of the Tolkien MENSA special
        > interest group. It was held July 30-August 2.

        I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention and
        an academic conference.

        MK
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 11, 1999
          Mary Kay Kare wrote:

          > From: Mary Kay Kare <kare@...>
          >
          > Joan Marie Verba wrote:
          >
          > > From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
          > >
          > > >I am new to the list, and wonder if someone can explain MythCon to me?
          > >
          > > Mythcon is the annual meeting of the Mythopoeic Society. This year it was
          > > combined with Bree Moot, the annual meeting of the Tolkien MENSA special
          > > interest group. It was held July 30-August 2.
          >
          > I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention and
          > an academic conference.

          Yes, indeed. I tell people we're serious by day and silly by night.
          Mythcons have wonderful paper sessions and panel discussions on all
          sorts of things mythopoeic. There is a small art show and dealers'
          room. And at night we talk and sing and hold a masquerade and put on
          skits and read plays. You should come to one, Christine.

          Berni
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 1999
            In a message dated 8/11/99 8:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kare@...
            writes:

            > I describe it to people as a cross between a science fiction convention
            > and an academic conference.

            There are several weird side-effects of the mixing of fans and academics at
            Mythcon. One of them, which luckily I didn't have to explain to many of the
            paper presenters at the 1994 Mythcon (where I was the chair), was that all
            those papers which were written by English professors and grad students were
            read and evaluated by a programming committee that consisted of a computer
            programmer, a commercial artist turned administrative assistant, a
            translator/technical editor/proofreader, and a mathematician.

            Wendell Wagner
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2004
              Lisa reminded us: <<Everyone - Don't forget to bring your $$$. We accept
              cash, checks and
              traveler's checks (and Paypal if you really blew it). >>

              *sigh* It's coming soon, isn't it? Have a good time, everyone! Do some
              shopping for me! lol

              Bridges. !! I want to see some papers on the subject !! :-)

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • David Lenander
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
                Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
                is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
                http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

                David Lenander
                d-lena@...
                2095 Hamline Ave. N.
                Roseville, MN 55113
                651-292-8887
              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
                  David Lenander [d-lena@...] wrote:
                  > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
                  > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
                  > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

                  I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
                  Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

                  A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon, I'd
                  say.

                  "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
                  clothes."
                  --Desiderius Erasmus
                  Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
                    > Incidentally, Claire posted her Mythcon report to her blog-- Here it
                    > is--I guess I've never really looked at it before...
                    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/green_griffin1/

                    >>I especially liked this line: 'we took a 4 hour fairy ride across Lake
                    >>Michigan so we didn't have to go around'.

                    >>>A most appropriate mode of transportation for getting to/from a Mythcon,
                    >>>I'd say.

                    I liked that line myself. Neat to see Mythcon from a youngling's POV.---djb

                    "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
                    clothes."
                    --Desiderius Erasmus
                    Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Carol Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                      Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                      Thanks
                      Carol

                      Carol Mitchell listowner costumemidwest@yahoogroups.com
                      Come to the Chicagoland Costumer's Guild Halloween costume party/Anniversary celebration in Mount Prospect, IL 11/2/03 www.chicostume.org
                      We are running the masquerade(costume contest) at Windycon November 7-9 in Schaumburg. There will be two costume parties, one with an alien theme, one with a prize for silliest hat. www.windycon.org

                    • mkkare
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 26, 2004
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Carol Mitchell <listcost25@y...> wrote:
                        > Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?
                        > Thanks
                        > Carol

                        Next year we will be holding Mythcon in conjunction with the UK
                        Tolkien Society's Tolkien 2005 celebration. More information is
                        available here

                        http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/about.html

                        We're going to be in Seattle in 2006 and Janet wants to do one in
                        Oklahoma for 2007.

                        MKK
                      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 27, 2004
                          Hi Carol -

                          As Mary Kay has already told you, we're going to be in Birmingham
                          England next year. There will be several of us doing the
                          WorldCon/TolkienCon (read MythCon) trip, including the Harrigans. Trying
                          to explain to friends why we can't join their organized tour because we
                          are doing TWO cons in August is fun <g>.

                          Watch this list for further information as people get their plans firmed up.

                          Mythically yours,
                          Lisa

                          Carol Mitchell wrote:

                          >Could someone please tell me when and where Mythcon 2005 will be?

                        • Stolzi
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                            Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                            Masquerade!

                            Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                              I've got it on the schedule -- who wants to be in charge? Don't all
                              stampede at once...

                              Janet

                              Pleez, oh pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz, Janet, tell us there's going to be a
                              Masquerade!

                              Grace wouldn't let me do it last year....

                              Diamond Proudbrook

                              You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free. See
                              how.
                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/DtIolB/TM

                              Links