Re: [mythsoc] Luddite themes of the book.

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
      Well, this has made me think a bit. Why is so much fantasy laid in the
      "generic Middle Ages"? Is it a sort of desire to get back to simpler things
      while conveniently ignoring such matters as outside toilets, half year
      journeys, lugging your water from the well in a bucket, reading and writing
      by candlelight with goosequill pens?

      I admit I'm just as much into this as anybody, as I work in a rather
      desultory way on a long fantasy set in just such a world (it's science
      fictional in that it's another planet, one that has used up its natural
      resources and been forced back to nature by severe shorages of almost all the
      materials needed for technology. I didn't place it in the real middle ages
      because I wanted to make up my own sociology, geography, history and so
      on--rather like McCaffrey's Pern but without dragons).

      So I ask again--why so much fantasy set in the medieval milieu rather than,
      say, that of ancient Rome or the 18th century?

      Jamaq
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2002
        In a message dated 3/8/2002 1:08:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, odzer@...
        writes:

        > I was just looking at a prev post from Wendell Wagner that suggests that
        > Tolkien had a Luddite sensibility. Don't you think that overstates it a
        > bit?

        Note that my review began with "This isn't quite a full review of _The Lord
        of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring_, more like some offhand
        observations." I'll accept that I overstated the case just because I didn't
        want to write several paragraphs explaining Tolkien's views in full.