Re: [mythsoc] Jackson/Contamination

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 7, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: WendellWag@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 10:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Jackson/Contamination

      >Actually, you're one of the few persons here who has had fiction published.
      >Even if you expand the definition of "professional" to people who teach
      >English and to librarians, there aren't that large a proportion of people on
      >this list who are professionals. I remember that I actually boasted that
      >among the fifteen or twenty people who were on the committee for the Mythcon
      >that I ran in 1994, not a single one was in a profession that related to the
      >creation or appreciation of fiction - no writers, no teachers, no librarians.
      >A mathematician, a physicist, an engineer, a couple of economists, several
      >computer professionals, an administrative assistant, a technical
      >writer/translator, but not a single person who even majored in English in
      >college. It's a tradition in the Mythopoeic Society that fans and
      >professionals interact on an equal level.

      >Wendell Wagner

      Whew! Thanks, Wendell. I was beginning to think this old biology major (with minors in chemistry and theology--quite a mix, eh?) was an odd person out. I do work at a university, but just because the benefits are good; previously, I worked in a private doctors' office. My job is in the medical school, and I'm a *senior* administrative assistant because the doctor I work for happens to chair a department. The closest I get to "literary professional" is copy editing his research papers.

      I did write a piece of fan fiction once, although at the time I didn't know it had a label. For some years after first reading LotR, I took the gaffer's statement that Frodo was "a child" when his parents died to mean that he was very young and possibly wasn't affected that much by the event. But while checking the family trees for some reason, I realized how old he actually would have been. I started thinking so much about how he might have reacted that I began writing it down for my own sanity (to get it out of my head!) and ended up with a story of about 60 pages. The idea of making myself a character in it never even dawned on me--actually, I was quite proud of the fact that every character I used was one who legitimately "existed" in the book. Except for one friend reading it, it's never seen the light of day and I don't expect it to. But I do think it helped me look at several of the characters from an angle I hadn't before.

      --Trudy

    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2002
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia