Re: [mythsoc] Awful

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
      Yes, very awful. "The black and white world of fantasy." Grrrr! Have you
      READ any, Ms. Turkle?

      What would she make of Gollum, one wonders?

      Susan
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
        I hope you will write to her, Susan, and attempt to correct some of her
        misapprehensions about Tolkien. It would command more attention coming
        from you: an academic and a humanities person rather than a "techie", and a
        woman. (One of Turkle's misapprehensions is that LotR is unattractive to
        women. Her reason is that there are no female protagonists, an example of
        the attitude of "I can't like a book unless the protagonist is just like
        me" that I was decrying in an earlier post. Turkle seems also say that
        there is no typically female thinking in LotR, which is completely wrong:
        Frodo and Sam are peaceful, not warriors, and fight only by necessity;
        Aragorn is a healer as much as a warrior; and I've heard fans of Mighty
        Barbarian Heroes complain about LotR for being full of wussies instead of
        heroes.)

        LotR can be read as a fantasy adventure game, but not without squeezing the
        life and all the point out of it. It's no more accurate to blame Tolkien
        for this attitude, which he expressly disavowed, than it is to blame
        Heinlein and the Beatles for Charles Manson.

        If you have Le Guin's critical books handy, a few quotes would go down
        well. This one, which I have handy from a post I made recently to another
        list, isn't directly addressed at Turkle's point but is useful anyway:

        "I shall never cease to wonder at the critics who find Tolkien a 'simple'
        writer. What marvelously simple minds they must have!" - Ursula K. Le
        Guin, "Science Fiction and Mrs. Brown"

        Feel free to borrow any or all of the above points. I don't want to write
        myself: I'd just be taken as one of a chorus of male (presumed)
        computeroids. I looked up her academic e-mail address anyway: it's
        sturkle@....

        David Bratman