Re: [mythsoc] Jackson/Contamination

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 6, 2002
      In a message dated 3/6/2002 7:44:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      verba001@... writes:

      > The sequence of events, for me, was: I read LotR and enjoyed it very
      > much indeed. Some time later, it occurred to me that making up a fantasy
      > in which I was a character in the story might be fun, too. So I did.
      >
      > But I did not need to make up the fantasy in order to enjoy the story in
      > the first place (or the second place, or the third, etc.).

      No, of course not! Oh, good heavens, I seem to have opened a can of worms
      here! Joan, please don't feel the need to apologize or be defensive about a
      fun writing project!

      I'm getting the strong sense that at least part of this discussion is fueled
      by anti-fan bias ("No! We're not fans! We're professionals! We get paid!
      We're serious and sophisticated! We have credentials!") of the sort that
      tends to be strongest among professionals whose work is considered somewhat
      suspect among the academic/ literary elite. (Been there, done that.)

      Look, it takes real guts to admit in certain circles that we're smart
      professional people who nonetheless ENJOY Star Trek or Buffy or Tolkien or
      fan writing or whatever. And the challenge is then to be smart and
      professional on those topics, too. If we allow ourselves to deny our own
      interest and pleasure so that somebody wearing a tweed jacket won't sneer at
      us, we're letting the turkeys win -- and the world becomes more boring as a
      result.

      Thank God for PCA.

      Susan

    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2002
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia