Jackson/Contamination

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 6, 2002
      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > The other is when a
      > reader demands that there be a character like themself in the story and thus
      > finds it impossible to enjoy stories that don't have any such character.

      While there may be readers who have this experience, the above
      statement, as written, does not apply to me. I never "demand" that there
      be a character such as myself in the story in order for me to enjoy it.
      I never made up a "Mary Sue" scenario for The Hobbit or The
      Silmarillion, for instance, and I enjoyed those very much. Nor did I
      have to insert myself in LotR in order to enjoy it.

      The sequence of events, for me, was: I read LotR and enjoyed it very
      much indeed. Some time later, it occurred to me that making up a fantasy
      in which I was a character in the story might be fun, too. So I did.

      But I did not need to make up the fantasy in order to enjoy the story in
      the first place (or the second place, or the third, etc.).

      Now, it helps for me to enjoy a story to have a character that I can
      identify with, but that's not exactly the same thing.

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2002
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia