contamination of their conception of the books

  • odzer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
      Gee, I recall one of the screenwriters claimed she deliberately did -not-
      reread the trilogy prior to writing the screnplay so it wouldn't distort her
      conception of how the story should be told (?!?!?!)-maybe i could find the
      original interview, but maybe someone else saw this? How idiotic...
      That Jackson was afraid to read 'Bored of the Rings?'? how silly....

      ...The evening sun was setting, as is its wont,..."

      John
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2002

        << Gee, I recall one of the screenwriters claimed she deliberately did -not-
        reread the trilogy prior to writing the screnplay so it wouldn't distort her
        conception of how the story should be told (?!?!?!)-maybe i could find the
        original interview, but maybe someone else saw this? How idiotic...

        I haven't seen that -- certainly Jackson and Walsh reread the trilogy, and I
        gather that many dog-eared copies were used copiously on the set (although
        viewers may disagree with how respectfully the text was adapted). I'd be
        interested to see that interview!

        That Jackson was afraid to read 'Bored of the Rings?'? how silly.... >>

        Well, if it really would have messed with his reading of Tolkien, why is it
        silly? Various people here have said that various artforms "interfere" with
        their vision of the work more than others. Don't we all have the right to
        define for ourselves what we want to read or see and what we don't? (I only
        have trouble with that when people then presume to express *opinions* on what
        they've refused to read or see, but Jackson didn't say that the Harvard
        Lampoon version was trash, only that he'd elected to avoid it.)

        Susan