Re: [mythsoc] re: More tripe from the media

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2002
      purpleom@... writes:

      > In one of the
      > later letters he recounts how he was visited by
      > someone quite distinguished (but doesn't say who -
      > anyone know?) who said something like "But of course
      > you know you didn't just make all this up, don't
      > you?", and Tolkien writes "I had to agree" or similar.

      I took that to mean something like divine inspiration - not something like
      "it's really true."

      The actual words are found in Letter 328; and if Tolkien could not recall the
      speaker's name, I see no way for us to find out who he was at this date:

      ' "Of course you don't suppose, do you, that you wrote all that book
      yourself?"

      Tolkien goes on:

      'I think I said: "No, I don't suppose so any longer." ... An alarming
      conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private amusement.
      But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of
      "chosen instruments", and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable
      unfitness for the purpose.'

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Janet Croft
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
        While we're talking about the Letters -- I was trying to find the letter
        that included the phrase "my deplorable cultus". Anyone know which one that
        is?

        Thanks,
        Janet
        > later letters he recounts how he was visited by
        > someone quite distinguished (but doesn't say who -
        > anyone know?) who said something like "But of course
        > you know you didn't just make all this up, don't
        > you?", and Tolkien writes "I had to agree" or similar.

        I took that to mean something like divine inspiration - not something like
        "it's really true."

        The actual words are found in Letter 328; and if Tolkien could not recall
        the
        speaker's name, I see no way for us to find out who he was at this date:

        ' "Of course you don't suppose, do you, that you wrote all that book
        yourself?"

        Tolkien goes on:

        'I think I said: "No, I don't suppose so any longer." ... An alarming
        conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private
        amusement.
        But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of
        "chosen instruments", and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable
        unfitness for the purpose.'

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor