Re: Digest Number 96

  • Donander Evre
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 1999

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 10:29:45 EDT
      > From: Stolzi@...
      > Subject: Re: Harry Potter Slams Narnia

      > Which reminds me, how can STARDUST by Gaiman be so
      > good if, just a few months
      > later, I cannot even remember the hero's name, and
      > have only a vague
      > recollection of the plot? It did have a nice
      > Tolkien-ish flavor, but I put
      > it only at no. 3 on my ballot.
      >
      > And I must say I disliked the steamy "obligatory sex
      > scene," which was not
      > necessary. "And there he shut her wild wild
      > eyes/With kisses four" is in my
      > opinion what you need, and all that you need, in
      > this kind of story.
      >
      > Mary S

      Personally, I think Stardust is very much that good, if not better, and
      would simply advise you to reread it. (It gets better on rereading.)

      I just went back and looked at the 'steamy sex scene' (puzzled if I'd
      missed it)and was puzzled as to how it could be considered steamy. It
      doesn't go much beyond what you've described: certainly nothing I'd
      blush to let my daughters read.

      What exactly in it did you find objectionable?

      Nin