Happy Aragorn's birthday

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      Happy St. David's Day and Aragorn's birthday to all.

      Also, thanks for the suggestions for the MFA, I was able to use several of them in making nominations, yesterday. I'd still be interested in any comments that people might have on any recent fantasy books, whether they've been nominated or not. As would, I'd guess, other list members, for that matter. Since we don't really know which are the nominated books for a time, we have to keep looking at everything for the time being. Or at least tracking down any we've nominated but haven't had a chance to read as yet. (Bujold's _Curse of Chalion_, for instance. Interestingly, I had attended a discussion of the book with the author a couple of months ago, but it had slipped my mind that I had wanted to borrow the book and read it. I did enjoy her earlier fantasy, _The Spirit Ring_).
      --

      David Lenander,

      e-mail: d-lena@... web-page: http://umn.edu/~d-lena/BirdnBab.html
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        In a message dated 3/1/02 12:01:47 PM Central Standard Time, d-lena@...
        writes:

        > Since we don't really know which are the nominated books for a time, we
        have
        > to keep looking at everything for the time being.

        Cheez, when do we find out!? Because in 60 days, the May BUTTERBUR'S
        WOODSHED is supposed to have its members discussing them. I thought that in
        past years I always sent out the long list in the March disty, which will be
        out in just a few more days, God willing.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          Curse of Chalion was voted #1 on the 2001 Reader's Poll on
          the SF Site.
          http://www.sfsite.com/

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
            <<Curse of Chalion was voted #1 on the 2001 Reader's Poll on
            the SF Site.
            http://www.sfsite.com/>>

            Darned good read. Hope it's on the list. ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
              From: "Bill" <lunacy2@...>

              > Curse of Chalion was voted #1 on the 2001 Reader's Poll on
              > the SF Site.
              > http://www.sfsite.com/

              Curious. I nominated _Curse of Chalion_ for the MFA, but I thought it the
              least of the 5 books which I nominated. Two other books on SF Site's top 10
              list were on my nomination list and I thought them both much better than
              _Curse of Chalion_. These were Tim Powers' _Declare_, which they ranked #7,
              and Neil Gaiman's _American Gods_, which was in their #3 spot. The other
              books on their top 10 I hadn't read, and those books/authors I am aware of
              (read reviews or talked to people who have read them) are not things I would
              think I would enjoy or think highly of.

              Berni
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
                The Gaiman books was the only other one in the
                Top 10 I had read or nominated. I was surprised
                deLint's Onion Girl didn't make the list.

                #3 spot. The other books on their top 10 I hadn't read, and those