re: More tripe from the media

  • Steve Law
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Diamond Proudbrook:
      "Here's the man who wrote the whole rap on
      "sub-creation," and here's an ignorant reporter trying
      to make out that he was a delusionary who could not
      tell fiction from reality! Tripe is indeed the word."

      The notion that 'Gondor' or 'Gondolin' were inspired
      by actual Viennese gondolins is obviouly nonsense,
      but Tolkien in his words and actions did on a number
      of occasions suggest that he believed his work to be
      more than just a fiction he'd created. In one of the
      later letters he recounts how he was visited by
      someone quite distinguished (but doesn't say who -
      anyone know?) who said something like "But of course
      you know you didn't just make all this up, don't
      you?", and Tolkien writes "I had to agree" or similar.

      I think there's good evidence that Tolkien believed
      his mythos was real and external to him in some
      special and specific way (although he was of course
      quite capable of distinguishing between everyday
      reality and fantasy, and was not some dotty old
      Professor lost in a dream world).

      Steve Law

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2002
        purpleom@... writes:

        > In one of the
        > later letters he recounts how he was visited by
        > someone quite distinguished (but doesn't say who -
        > anyone know?) who said something like "But of course
        > you know you didn't just make all this up, don't
        > you?", and Tolkien writes "I had to agree" or similar.

        I took that to mean something like divine inspiration - not something like
        "it's really true."

        The actual words are found in Letter 328; and if Tolkien could not recall the
        speaker's name, I see no way for us to find out who he was at this date:

        ' "Of course you don't suppose, do you, that you wrote all that book
        yourself?"

        Tolkien goes on:

        'I think I said: "No, I don't suppose so any longer." ... An alarming
        conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private amusement.
        But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of
        "chosen instruments", and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable
        unfitness for the purpose.'

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
          While we're talking about the Letters -- I was trying to find the letter
          that included the phrase "my deplorable cultus". Anyone know which one that
          is?

          Thanks,
          Janet
          > later letters he recounts how he was visited by
          > someone quite distinguished (but doesn't say who -
          > anyone know?) who said something like "But of course
          > you know you didn't just make all this up, don't
          > you?", and Tolkien writes "I had to agree" or similar.

          I took that to mean something like divine inspiration - not something like
          "it's really true."

          The actual words are found in Letter 328; and if Tolkien could not recall
          the
          speaker's name, I see no way for us to find out who he was at this date:

          ' "Of course you don't suppose, do you, that you wrote all that book
          yourself?"

          Tolkien goes on:

          'I think I said: "No, I don't suppose so any longer." ... An alarming
          conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private
          amusement.
          But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of
          "chosen instruments", and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable
          unfitness for the purpose.'

          Diamond Proudbrook

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor