Re: [mythsoc] Jackson/Contamination

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 27, 2002
      At 10:33 AM 2/27/2002 , Stolzi wrote:

      >dbratman@... writes:
      >
      >> hobbits scare
      >> off Nazgul by tossing rocks
      >
      >Is this right? I only saw the movie once, but if I remember, they were doing
      >the time honored trick of "make the pursuer think you are moving over there,
      >not here where you actually are."

      Yes, and they do that by tossing rocks. I didn't say they tossed them _at_
      the Nazgul, a la Palestinian protestors at the Israeli army. "Scare" may
      have been the wrong verb.

      Just last weekend, I saw a list of "Useful Instructions for Evil Minions"
      posted in a bookstore. The FIRST instruction on the list was "Before you
      go on duty for the first time, find out what a tossed pebble sounds like,
      and learn not to be distracted by one." Yet another problem with this
      film, a problem otherwise uncharacteristic of it.

      In the book, the Nazgul is scared off by the approaching Elves of Gildor.

      >Nazgul should have followed his nose, in that case.
      >
      >(How =do= they sniff out people, when they have no real noses, anyway?)

      They're not sniffing out people. They're drawn by the Ring. Accordingly,
      a tossed pebble wouldn't distract them very long.

      Susan wrote:

      >But this gets back to David's (I think)
      >earlier point about how if you're with the bad guys, even if you're part of a
      >huge company, you really don't want to go up against even *one* person in the
      >Fellowship.

      Not me. Aragorn is unique as the rightful King, but Boromir, Legolas, and
      Gimli are no finer than many other warriors of their races, being
      distinguished mostly by having been put in this crisis, not by the unique
      qualities of their varying reactions to it.

      David Bratman
    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2002
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia