Re: [mythsoc] Be Very Afraid

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2002
      At 10:18 AM 2/27/2002 , Susan wrote:

      >Is there any indication in the film that the blades are magical? The only
      >one I can think of in that category is Sting, which *does* have a bit more
      >ceremony attached to it.

      The significant Barrow-downs sword is Merry's, because it's the one he uses
      to stab the Lord of the Nazgul.

      In the book, there is nothing magic about the sword, at least in terms of
      Sam's definition of magic. Sting is magical (glows when orcs are near)
      because it was forged by the Elves. Merry's sword is uniquely harmful to
      the Nazgul because it was forged by his enemies, the Dunedain, for the
      specific purpose of battling him.

      "So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad
      would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the
      North-kingdom, when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was
      the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not
      though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so
      bitter ..."

      One might consider that quality to be magic of a kind, but it's still not
      inconsistent with how Aragorn got the sword in the film. In _The Hobbit_,
      the dwarves find Orcrist and Glamdring abandoned in a troll-cave.

      David Bratman