RE: [mythsoc] Be Very Afraid

  • Janet Croft
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2002
      Not in the film, but in the book they are enchanted; Merry's in particular
      has to be.

      Janet
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2002
        At 10:18 AM 2/27/2002 , Susan wrote:

        >Is there any indication in the film that the blades are magical? The only
        >one I can think of in that category is Sting, which *does* have a bit more
        >ceremony attached to it.

        The significant Barrow-downs sword is Merry's, because it's the one he uses
        to stab the Lord of the Nazgul.

        In the book, there is nothing magic about the sword, at least in terms of
        Sam's definition of magic. Sting is magical (glows when orcs are near)
        because it was forged by the Elves. Merry's sword is uniquely harmful to
        the Nazgul because it was forged by his enemies, the Dunedain, for the
        specific purpose of battling him.

        "So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad
        would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the
        North-kingdom, when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was
        the dread realm of Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not
        though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so
        bitter ..."

        One might consider that quality to be magic of a kind, but it's still not
        inconsistent with how Aragorn got the sword in the film. In _The Hobbit_,
        the dwarves find Orcrist and Glamdring abandoned in a troll-cave.

        David Bratman