Re: Harry Potter Slams Narnia

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
      In a message dated 08/06/1999 8:15:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
      bernip@... writes:

      > _Brighty of the
      > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule)

      LOL!
    • THEODORE SHERMAN
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
        The NPR reporter was TR Reed; I, too, caught the snide comment directed at the
        Narnia books. And like Bernie, I remember the Brighty books--as well as a variety
        of poor readers. I would have loved the Narnia books if I'd known about them
        earlier.

        Ted

        Berni Phillips wrote:

        > From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
        >
        > Stolzi@... wrote:
        >
        > > Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:
        > >
        > > <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
        > > something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
        > > so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
        > > like those old Narnia books.">>
        > >
        > > Mary S
        >
        > Whoever wrote that was lucky he got Narnia to read. It seemed like
        > every elementary school teacher I had wanted to read us _Brighty of the
        > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule) over and over again. I love
        > animals, but I'm not particularly keen on animal stories.
        >
        > Berni

        > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
        > Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
        > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

        Dr. Theodore James Sherman
        Associate Professor of English
        Middle Tennessee State University
        Murfreesboro, TN 37130
        (615) 898-2678
        tsherman@...
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
          Oddly enough, lots of school children =have= had Narnia read to them, it
          seems. Surely the ACLU will get on this sooner or later!

          As for animal stories, I liked "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry,
          but can't remember the story now, only the lovely illustrations.

          Which reminds me, how can STARDUST by Gaiman be so good if, just a few months
          later, I cannot even remember the hero's name, and have only a vague
          recollection of the plot? It did have a nice Tolkien-ish flavor, but I put
          it only at no. 3 on my ballot.

          And I must say I disliked the steamy "obligatory sex scene," which was not
          necessary. "And there he shut her wild wild eyes/With kisses four" is in my
          opinion what you need, and all that you need, in this kind of story.

          Mary S