Re: 1998 books

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
      Responding to the message of <l03130306b2b2b96d78fa@[153.37.15.207]>
      from mythsoc@onelist.com:

      > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
      >
      > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
      >
      > I'd like to
      > nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.

      > Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???

      Here's a bit of info: --ddl
      Strauss, Victoria.
      | TITLE: The arm of the stone /
      | PLACE: New York :
      |PUBLISHER: Avon Eos,
      | YEAR: 1998
      | PUB TYPE: Book
      | FORMAT: 426 p. ; 18 cm.
      | ISBN: 0380797518

      David Lenander, Library Manager I
      Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
      Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
      Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
      University of Minnesota
      Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

      e-mail: d-lena@...
      web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
        > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
        >
        > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
        > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
        > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
        > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
        > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

        And I'd like to give Phantastes a thumbs-up. I discovered it about a month
        ago and really enjoyed what Staci's got up there. It's definitely worth a
        look.

        Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
        http://www.firinn.org/~mwinslow/
        "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
        them." - Joseph Brodsky

        Currently reading: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
      • Staci Dumoski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999
          I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
          Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
          article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
          subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
          article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

          Best,
          Staci

          *** *** ***
          Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
          Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
          The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism

          On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

          > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
          >
          > Ellie: I think I gave a synopsis of *Arm* in BW 42, but it concerns a
          > young man preserving a thousand year old story, handed down through his
          > family in a land where technology is heavily regulated (hand-power) and
          > magic (mind-power) is preferred. When his brother commits an
          > infraction, his entire family is wiped out; he joins the regulators to
          > bring down the system from within. This summary does no justice to the
          > writing, and to the gripping interweaving of his life with that of a
          > female trainee in the same place. Later, it becomes a story of
          > intrigue. It's really quite good; I veiw it as something Tolkien might
          > have liked (even if he was ambivalent about technology, he was equally
          > ambivalent about magic getting out of hand); the world-building is very
          > interesting. I think it at least deserves consideration. ---djb.
          > > >
          > > > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
          > > >
          > > > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'd like to
          > > > nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.
          > >
          > > > Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???
          > >
          > > Here's a bit of info: --ddl
          > > Strauss, Victoria.
          > > | TITLE: The arm of the stone /
          > > | PLACE: New York :
          > > |PUBLISHER: Avon Eos,
          > > | YEAR: 1998
          > > | PUB TYPE: Book
          > > | FORMAT: 426 p. ; 18 cm.
          > > | ISBN: 0380797518
          > >
          > > David Lenander, Library Manager I
          > > Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
          > > Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
          > > Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
          > > University of Minnesota
          > > Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
          > >
          > > e-mail: d-lena@...
          > > web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html

        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
              On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

              > I'd like to see that article. I take it I can get it from your online
              > address?

              Yes, it's available at http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes (along with a
              number of other articles on fantasy lit).

              Best,
              Staci Dumoski
            • Diane Baker
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
                  Staci Dumoski wrote:

                  > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
                  >
                  > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
                  > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
                  > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
                  > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
                  > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Staci
                  >
                  > *** *** ***
                  > Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
                  > Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
                  > The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
                  >
                  >I'd like to pay you a compliment on your online 'zine. It's got some great stuff; esp. enjoyed the Victoria Strauss article, and the books on world-building---two of which I already own.

                  Maybe you can help me: I'm looking for some material on magical rules
                  and systems. I don't necessarily want spells or original sources (a la
                  Dion Fortune) but articles on how to design a good magical system. Any
                  pointers? Have already checked out the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* by
                  Clute and Co. Interesting, but I really want a copy of the whole
                  encyclopedia, and can't afford it just now! My library doesn't have a
                  copy, so can't Xerox or take notes. Thanks. ---djb.