Re: Harry Potter Slams Narnia

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:
      >
      > <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
      > something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
      > so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
      > like those old Narnia books.">>
      >
      > Mary S

      Whoever wrote that was lucky he got Narnia to read. It seemed like
      every elementary school teacher I had wanted to read us _Brighty of the
      Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule) over and over again. I love
      animals, but I'm not particularly keen on animal stories.

      Berni
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
        In a message dated 08/06/1999 8:15:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        > _Brighty of the
        > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule)

        LOL!
      • THEODORE SHERMAN
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
          The NPR reporter was TR Reed; I, too, caught the snide comment directed at the
          Narnia books. And like Bernie, I remember the Brighty books--as well as a variety
          of poor readers. I would have loved the Narnia books if I'd known about them
          earlier.

          Ted

          Berni Phillips wrote:

          > From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
          >
          > Stolzi@... wrote:
          >
          > > Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:
          > >
          > > <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
          > > something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
          > > so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
          > > like those old Narnia books.">>
          > >
          > > Mary S
          >
          > Whoever wrote that was lucky he got Narnia to read. It seemed like
          > every elementary school teacher I had wanted to read us _Brighty of the
          > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule) over and over again. I love
          > animals, but I'm not particularly keen on animal stories.
          >
          > Berni

          > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
          > Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
          > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman
          Associate Professor of English
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37130
          (615) 898-2678
          tsherman@...
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
            Oddly enough, lots of school children =have= had Narnia read to them, it
            seems. Surely the ACLU will get on this sooner or later!

            As for animal stories, I liked "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry,
            but can't remember the story now, only the lovely illustrations.

            Which reminds me, how can STARDUST by Gaiman be so good if, just a few months
            later, I cannot even remember the hero's name, and have only a vague
            recollection of the plot? It did have a nice Tolkien-ish flavor, but I put
            it only at no. 3 on my ballot.

            And I must say I disliked the steamy "obligatory sex scene," which was not
            necessary. "And there he shut her wild wild eyes/With kisses four" is in my
            opinion what you need, and all that you need, in this kind of story.

            Mary S