Jackson/Contamination

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 26, 2002
      Susan:

      Something occurred to me today that's relevant to this discussion.

      After I read Lord of the Rings, I (may I say "of course") created my own
      fantasy version of the story in my own mind, placing myself into the
      story (a classic "Mary Sue"). I found, later, that at least one other
      reader I know did this, too, and I suspect many other readers have, as
      well.

      Of course, if _I_ were filming or adapting Tolkien, I'd be as true to
      the original work as humanly possible, because, while I enjoy my fantasy
      version, I still think Tolkien's original is a lot better than my
      fantasy version.

      Still, it may take some of the disappointment out of the film to think
      of it NOT as JRR Tolkien's LotR, but as Jackson's version of LotR. Then
      one can take it as Jackson's personal "fan fiction" of LotR, and to me,
      that "disconnects" it from JRRT's version fairly well.

      Your mileage may vary, of course. (And I suspect the mileage of others
      will vary even more!)

      Joan

      P.S. I can also relate this to Darkover, but it's late. Ask me again if
      interested.
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2002
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia