Re: [mythsoc] Jackson/Contamination

  • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 26, 2002
      > Seriously, Jackson and the other film-makers said
      > repeatedly that, while they could not adhere to all
      > details of the plot, they would devote every possible
      > effort to pleasing the Tolkien fanatics, i.e. the
      > people who objected to contamination of their
      > conception of the books.
      >
      > And in some respects, mostly set design, they did
      > just that. Which makes their failure in other
      > respects - and I _don't_ mean straight plot changes
      > - all the more glaring.

      You may be on to something there.

      I think the biggest issue is that the filmmakers are speaking Hollywood-ese,
      and the Tolkien purists are not.

      When the the filmmakers said that they were going to remain "absolutely
      faithful" to the books, they meant that they weren't going to turn Frodo
      into a bikini-wearing Amazon woman who carries a magic spear and travels
      with a group of talking animals. When you consider Hollywood's treatment of
      nearly /all/ literary works, Jackson has done a truly remarkable job of
      remaining "true" to the books, especially given how non-cinematic the story
      structure is. We're lucky that the story is even getting 3 films. Can you
      imagine what would have happened if they had only been able to do one film
      (or even two)? I think Jackson's commitment to the material is commendable,
      given what he must have been up against.

      -

      s&th
      cirhsein@...

      You! You're my lover,
      You're my hope, you're my dreams, my life
      My passion, my love, my sex, my money,
      Violence, religion and justice and death
    • etades@aol.com
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11 7:47 PM
        In a message dated 3/7/02 6:26:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        << > What's PCA? Peer Counseling Anonymous?

        Presbyterian Church in America... >>

        Patient Controlled Analgesia