Harry Potter Slams Narnia

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
      Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:

      <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
      something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
      so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
      like those old Narnia books.">>

      Mary S
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:
        >
        > <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
        > something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
        > so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
        > like those old Narnia books.">>
        >
        > Mary S

        Whoever wrote that was lucky he got Narnia to read. It seemed like
        every elementary school teacher I had wanted to read us _Brighty of the
        Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule) over and over again. I love
        animals, but I'm not particularly keen on animal stories.

        Berni
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
          In a message dated 08/06/1999 8:15:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          > _Brighty of the
          > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule)

          LOL!
        • THEODORE SHERMAN
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
            The NPR reporter was TR Reed; I, too, caught the snide comment directed at the
            Narnia books. And like Bernie, I remember the Brighty books--as well as a variety
            of poor readers. I would have loved the Narnia books if I'd known about them
            earlier.

            Ted

            Berni Phillips wrote:

            > From: Berni Phillips <bernip@...>
            >
            > Stolzi@... wrote:
            >
            > > Well, not really, but I was bummed by this msg I got today:
            > >
            > > <<The NPR report ended with the WPost correspondent in England saying
            > > something like, "These books are so wonderful and so full of magic. They're
            > > so much better than those books we all had to read when we were children,
            > > like those old Narnia books.">>
            > >
            > > Mary S
            >
            > Whoever wrote that was lucky he got Narnia to read. It seemed like
            > every elementary school teacher I had wanted to read us _Brighty of the
            > Grand Canyon_ (a book about a mule) over and over again. I love
            > animals, but I'm not particularly keen on animal stories.
            >
            > Berni

            > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
            > Book Club´┐Ż offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
            > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

            Dr. Theodore James Sherman
            Associate Professor of English
            Middle Tennessee State University
            Murfreesboro, TN 37130
            (615) 898-2678
            tsherman@...
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
              Oddly enough, lots of school children =have= had Narnia read to them, it
              seems. Surely the ACLU will get on this sooner or later!

              As for animal stories, I liked "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry,
              but can't remember the story now, only the lovely illustrations.

              Which reminds me, how can STARDUST by Gaiman be so good if, just a few months
              later, I cannot even remember the hero's name, and have only a vague
              recollection of the plot? It did have a nice Tolkien-ish flavor, but I put
              it only at no. 3 on my ballot.

              And I must say I disliked the steamy "obligatory sex scene," which was not
              necessary. "And there he shut her wild wild eyes/With kisses four" is in my
              opinion what you need, and all that you need, in this kind of story.

              Mary S