Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien on Lewis's marriage

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2002
      In a message dated 2/23/02 1:21:11 PM Central Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > Aside from the apparent fact that Joy
      > was both vocal and bright, wouldn't Mrs. Tolkien have had some insights
      just

      > by way of living with JRRT? Or did he never discuss his worldmaking at
      home?

      Well, Lizzie, they talked about a variety of subjects at their meetings. Joy
      had been to Columbia University; Edith Tolkien had never had more than a
      standard women's education of the earliest part of the 20th century and I
      believe had never attended university at all.

      But in your disinterest in biography, you are right down CSL's alley. He
      disliked too much attention by critics to a writer's biographical facts and
      in fact labeled it "The Personal Heresy."

      Diamond Proudbrook