Re: The Blair Witch Project

  • dmelkin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      rspeer wrote:

      > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't wait
      > for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have learned that
      > the whole thing is a hoax.

      I guess that knowing it is a fiction has not cooled my interest. The concept is
      one of the first original horror moves in years. Sci-Fi's tv program is well
      done and a brillant advertisement of the movie. So Ron, I disagree with you on
      this point, but you are sure right on about the best comic strip. Nice home
      page.

      Dave Elkin

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
        In a message dated 8/3/99 8:27:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rspeer@...
        writes:

        > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't
        > wait for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have
        > learned that the whole thing is a hoax. These are just movie actors
        > playing these parts and there is not really a myth concerning the
        > Blair Witch. This has greatly cooled my desire to watch this movie.

        I'm surprised that you could have gone that long without hearing a review or
        a news story about the film. There were a lot of them, and they all
        explained how the movie was really made. The only things that played along
        with the movie's pretense that it was a documentary were the special on the
        Sci-Fi Channel and the movie's official website.

        > There are many "real" myths in America from which to explore without
        > resorting to the planning of a new myth.

        I can't make any sense of the claim that you're making here. Are you saying
        that no movie can use completely original materials? O.K., just to confine
        ourselves to horror movies made in the past twenty-five years, what about the
        _Halloween_ movies, or the _Friday the Thirteenth_ movies, or the _Nightmare
        on Elm Street_ movies? Or, to mention a science fiction/horror crossover,
        what about the _Alien_ movies? Or, going completely over to science fiction,
        what about the _Star Wars_ films?

        Each of the film series I just named is approximately as original as _The
        Blair Witch Project_. There's nothing new about the idea of witches, or evil
        aliens, or psychopathic killers, or things from dreams appearing in reality,
        but each of those films has used these ideas in an original way. So again I
        wonder what claim you're making here.

        > I would like to hear other opinions on this matter.

        The interesting thing for me is that if I like _The Blair Witch Project_ as
        much as some of the reviewers do, it will join a few others on my list of
        excellent films made in the past twenty-five years for less than $120,000:
        _Dark Star_, _She's Gotta Have It_, _Slacker_, _El Mariachi_, and _Clerks_.
        I haven't had a chance to see it yet though, so I can't comment on the
        quality of the movie.
      • rspeer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
          DMelkin,
          <<Sci-Fi's tv program is well
          done and a brillant advertisement of the movie.>>
          I thought the Sci-Fi advert was brillantly done as well, but I still think
          that it would have been much better if there really had been a Blair Witch.
          Thank you for the warm reception of my web page.
          Love live Bloom County!
          Ron
        • rspeer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
            > In a message dated 8/3/99 8:27:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rspeer@...
            > writes:
            >
            > > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't
            > > wait for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have
            > > learned that the whole thing is a hoax. These are just movie actors
            > > playing these parts and there is not really a myth concerning the
            > > Blair Witch. This has greatly cooled my desire to watch this movie.
            > >
            > > There are many "real" myths in America from which to explore without
            > > resorting to the planning of a new myth.
            >
            > I can't make any sense of the claim that you're making here. Are you
            saying
            > that no movie can use completely original materials?
            What I am saying: They should have taken on an existing legend, and made
            a movie from it.
            When you are trying for reality, and if one wants to add more tension to
            a movie such as this, wouldn't it be better to find an already exising
            legend?