The Blair Witch Project

  • rspeer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      You knew it had to happen: Someone that wants to discuss the hottest movie
      in America at this time. When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi
      Network, I couldn't wait for the movie to be released. Since that time,
      however, I have learned that the whole thing is a hoax.
      These are just movie actors playing these parts and there is not really a
      myth concerning the Blair Witch. This has greatly cooled my desire to watch
      this movie.
      There are many "real" myths in America from which to explore without
      resorting to the planning of a new myth.
      I would like to hear other opinions on this matter.
      Ron
      P.S. Has anyone visited my web page as of yet?
      http://www.angelfire.com/mo/BDharma/WorldOfRon.html
      (it's not a porn site!)
    • dmelkin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
        rspeer wrote:

        > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't wait
        > for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have learned that
        > the whole thing is a hoax.

        I guess that knowing it is a fiction has not cooled my interest. The concept is
        one of the first original horror moves in years. Sci-Fi's tv program is well
        done and a brillant advertisement of the movie. So Ron, I disagree with you on
        this point, but you are sure right on about the best comic strip. Nice home
        page.

        Dave Elkin

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
          In a message dated 8/3/99 8:27:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rspeer@...
          writes:

          > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't
          > wait for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have
          > learned that the whole thing is a hoax. These are just movie actors
          > playing these parts and there is not really a myth concerning the
          > Blair Witch. This has greatly cooled my desire to watch this movie.

          I'm surprised that you could have gone that long without hearing a review or
          a news story about the film. There were a lot of them, and they all
          explained how the movie was really made. The only things that played along
          with the movie's pretense that it was a documentary were the special on the
          Sci-Fi Channel and the movie's official website.

          > There are many "real" myths in America from which to explore without
          > resorting to the planning of a new myth.

          I can't make any sense of the claim that you're making here. Are you saying
          that no movie can use completely original materials? O.K., just to confine
          ourselves to horror movies made in the past twenty-five years, what about the
          _Halloween_ movies, or the _Friday the Thirteenth_ movies, or the _Nightmare
          on Elm Street_ movies? Or, to mention a science fiction/horror crossover,
          what about the _Alien_ movies? Or, going completely over to science fiction,
          what about the _Star Wars_ films?

          Each of the film series I just named is approximately as original as _The
          Blair Witch Project_. There's nothing new about the idea of witches, or evil
          aliens, or psychopathic killers, or things from dreams appearing in reality,
          but each of those films has used these ideas in an original way. So again I
          wonder what claim you're making here.

          > I would like to hear other opinions on this matter.

          The interesting thing for me is that if I like _The Blair Witch Project_ as
          much as some of the reviewers do, it will join a few others on my list of
          excellent films made in the past twenty-five years for less than $120,000:
          _Dark Star_, _She's Gotta Have It_, _Slacker_, _El Mariachi_, and _Clerks_.
          I haven't had a chance to see it yet though, so I can't comment on the
          quality of the movie.
        • rspeer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
            DMelkin,
            <<Sci-Fi's tv program is well
            done and a brillant advertisement of the movie.>>
            I thought the Sci-Fi advert was brillantly done as well, but I still think
            that it would have been much better if there really had been a Blair Witch.
            Thank you for the warm reception of my web page.
            Love live Bloom County!
            Ron
          • rspeer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 1999
              > In a message dated 8/3/99 8:27:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              rspeer@...
              > writes:
              >
              > > When I first heard about this movie on the Sci-Fi Network, I couldn't
              > > wait for the movie to be released. Since that time, however, I have
              > > learned that the whole thing is a hoax. These are just movie actors
              > > playing these parts and there is not really a myth concerning the
              > > Blair Witch. This has greatly cooled my desire to watch this movie.
              > >
              > > There are many "real" myths in America from which to explore without
              > > resorting to the planning of a new myth.
              >
              > I can't make any sense of the claim that you're making here. Are you
              saying
              > that no movie can use completely original materials?
              What I am saying: They should have taken on an existing legend, and made
              a movie from it.
              When you are trying for reality, and if one wants to add more tension to
              a movie such as this, wouldn't it be better to find an already exising
              legend?