Mythopoeic Awards

  • Donander Evre
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1 9:49 PM
      ... well.... if anyone is at Milwaukie...

      Who Won?

      Ninzian

      who hopes it's Gaiman and Diana Wynne Jones, and fears it's De Lint and
      Harry Potter
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 2 2:58 PM
        >who hopes it's Gaiman and Diana Wynne Jones, and fears it's De Lint and
        >Harry Potter

        It WAS Gaiman and Diana Wynne Jones.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 20, 2001
          In a message dated 1/20/01 11:07:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          sheik@... writes:

          << I've got better reason now to read more [Dunsay]. >>

          Do you have a way to order British books? There's a volume of Dusany's
          stories now in print in paperback in the U.K. called _Time and the Gods_.
          It's six pounds and 99 pence (no more than $10.50 plus whatever shipping
          costs) and it contains 113 stories. It's in the Fantasy Masterworks series
          from Millennium (part of Victor Gollancz), ISBN 1-85798-989-9. It's a
          reprint of Dunsany's collections _Time and the Gods_, _The Sword of
          Welleran_, _A Dreamer's Tales_, _The Book of Wonder_, _The Last Book of
          Wonder_, and _The Gods of Pegana_.

          Wendell Wagner
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 20, 2001
            "Paul F. Labaki" wrote:

            > I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
            > Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
            > catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
            > correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
            > are they not?

            I'll doubtless be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe only
            books =originally= published in the past year are eligible for
            the fiction categories. (So even if the Dunsany had been
            reprinted in 2000, it wouldn't be eligible.) It's the awards for
            scholarly books that have the longer time limit, IIRC.

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 20, 2001
              In a message dated 1/20/1 4:07:36 PM, Paul Labaki wrote:

              <<I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
              Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
              catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
              correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
              are they not?

              Well, ideally, the MFAs are supposed to give recognition to *new* fantasy
              work. I think Lord Dunsany has gotten all the recognition he needs. :-)
              Alexei
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 20, 2001
                I know the feeling you refer to quite well, Paul. Dunsany
                has long been a favorite of mine.

                I first read Dunsany when Ballantine brought out his work as
                part of the original Adult Fantasy Series that was edited by Lin
                Carter. I had taken the train ride into Boston where I bought
                _Dragons, Elves and Heroes_ and _The Young Magicians_.
                I read the _Sword of Welleran_ on the train home and was
                hooked. I have long been frustrated in my days as a book
                seller that most of that series, including the Dunsany novels,
                was out of print. I'm glad Ballantine is reissuing some of it
                now.
                The new collection most likely can be ordered online or at a local
                location of Borders or B&N.
                I just looked at the dates on the two books: October,1969. I
                had just turned 21, and I can still smile thinking about how excited I
                became over finding books like these. I find the excitement less
                often nowadays, reserved for a new Kay or De Lint novel.

              • Grace E. Funk
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 21, 2001
                  Wendell, I should think either Daerons<www.daerons.demon.co.uk> or
                  Thorntons <www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk> would be able to get you the dunsay
                  book you want. I oprder from them frequently. Grace E. Funk

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 21, 2001

                    You misunderstood my message, mostly due to my vagueness, I think. I wrote:

                    > Do you have a way to order British books? There's a volume of Dusany's
                    > stories now in print in paperback in the U.K. called _Time and the Gods_.
                    > It's six pounds and 99 pence (no more than $10.50 plus whatever shipping
                    > costs) and it contains 113 stories.

                    I wasn't asking if someone could get this book for me. I already own this
                    book. I was replying to Paul Labaki's message in which he talked about how
                    much he like _The King of Elfland's Daughter_. I was suggesting that, if he
                    had a source for British books, he might like to get a copy of this book,
                    since it's a surprisingly cheap way to read all of Dunsany's fantasy short
                    stories.

                    Wendell Wagner
                  • Paul F. Labaki
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 21, 2001
                      I think you are correct, Margaret, that is what I was remembering. It's
                      been a few years since I've had time to devote to the scholarship nominees.
                      Peace,
                      Paul Labaki

                      > From: Margaret Dean <margdean@...>
                      > Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:35:32 -0500
                      > To: mythsoc@egroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Awards
                      >
                      > "Paul F. Labaki" wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I'm, right now, in the middle of Lord Dunsany's _The King of Elfland's
                      >> Daughter_. If it is eligible, I'd like to nominate for the adult fiction
                      >> catagory. Del Rey republished it in 1999. I'm not sure I'm remembering
                      >> correctly, but I think books published in the last three years are eligible,
                      >> are they not?
                      >
                      > I'll doubtless be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe only
                      > books =originally= published in the past year are eligible for
                      > the fiction categories. (So even if the Dunsany had been
                      > reprinted in 2000, it wouldn't be eligible.) It's the awards for
                      > scholarly books that have the longer time limit, IIRC.
                      >

                      > --Margaret Dean
                      > <margdean@...>

                    • Paul F. Labaki
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 21, 2001
                        Thank you both, Wendell and Grace. I got the volume through Amazon.uk.
                        that is how I've read a few of the Gods of Pagana stories, but they haven't
                        grabbed me like The King of Elfland's Daughter. I will, however, get back
                        to them.
                        Peace,
                        Paul Labaki

                        > From: WendellWag@...
                        > Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:51:30 EST
                        > To: mythsoc@egroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Awards
                        >
                        > In a message dated 1/21/01 10:23:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > gfunk@... writes:
                        >
                        > << Wendell, I should think either Daerons<www.daerons.demon.co.uk> or
                        > Thorntons <www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk> would be able to get you the dunsay
                        > book you want. I oprder from them frequently. >>
                        >
                        > You misunderstood my message, mostly due to my vagueness, I think. I wrote:
                        >
                        >> Do you have a way to order British books? There's a volume of Dusany's
                        >> stories now in print in paperback in the U.K. called _Time and the Gods_.
                        >> It's six pounds and 99 pence (no more than $10.50 plus whatever shipping
                        >> costs) and it contains 113 stories.
                        >
                        > I wasn't asking if someone could get this book for me. I already own this
                        > book. I was replying to Paul Labaki's message in which he talked about how
                        > much he like _The King of Elfland's Daughter_. I was suggesting that, if he
                        > had a source for British books, he might like to get a copy of this book,
                        > since it's a surprisingly cheap way to read all of Dunsany's fantasy short
                        > stories.
                        >
                        > Wendell Wagner

                      • Paul F. Labaki
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 21, 2001
                          I'm sure you're right, but he's new to me :)
                          Peace,
                          Paul Labaki

                          > Well, ideally, the MFAs are supposed to give recognition to *new* fantasy
                          > work. I think Lord Dunsany has gotten all the recognition he needs. :-)
                          > Alexei

                        • Ted Sherman
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
                            Of course, there's also amazon.co.uk, from which I usually purchase British
                            books (such as the HP books).

                            Ted

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
                              gfunk@... writes:

                              << I should think either Daerons<www.daerons.demon.co.uk> or
                              Thorntons <www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk> would be able to get you the dunsay
                              book you want. I oprder from them frequently. >>

                              In a message dated 1/22/01 9:19:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                              tedsherman@... writes:

                              << Of course, there's also amazon.co.uk, from which I usually purchase British
                              books (such as the HP books).

                              O.K., Paul, so there's three sources for the Dunsany collection _Time and the
                              Gods_, which I really do recommend that you order.

                              Wendell Wagner
                            • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 5, 2002
                                I've run across a couple of books recently which might be considered in
                                different categories for Mythopoeic Awards. I've recently started on Mike
                                Ashley's _Algernon Blackwood: An Extraordinary Life_ (New York: Carroll and
                                Graft, 2001), and on the basis of the first five chapters recommend it.
                                Ashley seems to have done an excellent job of tracing Blackwood's life; so
                                far Blackwood has not yet started writing his supernatural fiction, but
                                he's joined the Theosophical Society and had a few of the experiences he
                                later worked into stories.

                                The other book, a novel, is Deborah Crombie's _A Finer End_ (New York:
                                Bantom Books, 2001). This is part of a police series laid in England (of
                                which I've read none of the others), but this episode is in Glastonbury
                                with supernatural aspects and chapter epigraphs often from Dion Fortune.
                                I'm sure C. S. Lewis would not have been pleased with the depiction of a
                                female priest in the Church of England who is having an affair (and
                                rationalizes it)--she's one of the good characters in the novel--but the
                                book is a Grail Quest of an odd sort and quite interesting, I think. (The
                                last time I recommended a novel, it didn't make it to the list, so what do
                                I know? Nevertheless, I think this is an interesting book on the Williams
                                side on our spectrum.)

                                --Joe
                              • David Lenander
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 26, 2002
                                  Thursday is the deadline for nominating books for the Mythopoeic Awards. I don't plan to nominate Gaiman's _American Gods_ or Tim Powers' _Declare_, though I expect that someone or some several will do so. But besides the new Le Guin books, I'm having trouble thinking of adult candidates, even though I have a sense that I've read more new books in the past year than usual. If you've read any books from 2001 that might be considered candidates, but don't plan to nominate them yourself, why
                                  don't you respond to this list and suggest the titles? Even if you've not actually read something by a reliable author, or about which you've heard good things, can you mention some interesting titles to job my memory? Among children's books, I can think of Claire's recommendation of Nancy Springer's _Rowan Hood_, _Lirael_ by Garth Nix (what a terrific read! Although it's rather obviously an in-between book, so it might be disqualified until the sequel appears. It is a sequel to
                                  _Sabriel_, which was not so obviously part of a sequence), _The Ghost Sitter_ by Pene Griffin, Diane Duane's _Wizard's Dilemma_ (I haven't read the latter, but read some positive reviews). More suggestions would still be welcome. Is there a new McKillip book in 2001??

                                  Also don't neglect non-fiction, that devoted to the Inklings or to general fantasy or mythic studies. I'm sure that some of the recent books we've mentioned here, like _Tolkien's Legendarium_, and _JRRT and His Literary Resonances_, or the _Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales_ --or whatever Jack Zipes' latest book is--will be on the final lists. In this case, of course, books published over the past three years are eligible: 1999, 2000 and 2001.

                                  David Lenander,

                                • Bill
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 26, 2002
                                    Hmm..Bujold's Curse of Chalion and Russell's One Kingdom come
                                    to mind.
                                    Hobb's Fool's Errand.
                                    DeLint's Onion Girl.
                                    My four favorite books of 2001. Not sure if they
                                    fit the qualifications for the award, though?

                                  • Janet Croft
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 27, 2002
                                      How about Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents in
                                      the children's category? While it IS a Discworld novel, it's a stand-alone
                                      one -- it doesn't tie in with any of the sub-series, like the Witches series
                                      or the Death series, and it's really quite excellent. Rats creating their
                                      own mythos -- now there's an interesting concept!

                                      Janet
[...]

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Joe R. Christopher
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 13, 2003
                                        I haven't seen any calls about the Mythopoeic Awards yet (and I think I've
                                        opened all these e-mailings), but I thought I'd report the Brian Bates'
                                        _The Real Middle Earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages,
                                        J. R. R. Tolkien, and "The Lord of the Rings"_ (New York: Palgrave
                                        Macmillan, 2003) is _not_ a contender for the Scholarship Award. He's
                                        interested in the imaginative aspects of pagan Europe (both Germanic and
                                        Celtic--though mainly Germanic); usually just one or two paragraphs appear
                                        per chapter on how Tolkien used whatever aspect is being discussed at the
                                        time. In other words, very light on Tolkien; the main interest is
                                        elsewhere. I suspect Tolkien was brought in to sell the book.

                                        --Joe
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 16, 2003
                                          At 03:48 PM 12/13/2003 +0000, Joe R. Christopher wrote:
                                          >I haven't seen any calls about the Mythopoeic Awards yet (and I think I've
                                          >opened all these e-mailings), but I thought I'd report the Brian Bates'
                                          >_The Real Middle Earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages,
                                          >J. R. R. Tolkien, and "The Lord of the Rings"_ (New York: Palgrave
                                          >Macmillan, 2003) is _not_ a contender for the Scholarship Award. He's
                                          >interested in the imaginative aspects of pagan Europe (both Germanic and
                                          >Celtic--though mainly Germanic); usually just one or two paragraphs appear
                                          >per chapter on how Tolkien used whatever aspect is being discussed at the
                                          >time. In other words, very light on Tolkien; the main interest is
                                          >elsewhere. I suspect Tolkien was brought in to sell the book.

                                          That is true. Here's what I wrote about the book in my roundup of books on
                                          Tolkien for (I hope) the December Mythprint:

                                          "Lastly, _The Real Middle-earth_ by Brian Bates isn�t about Tolkien at all.
                                          It�s an attempt by an English redbrick university psychology professor to
                                          use Tolkien�s popularity as an awkward kicking-off point for a rather
                                          woo-woo account of the civilization and worldview of late first-millennium
                                          Celtic and Germanic Europe. His constant reference to these peoples as
                                          'the real Middle-earth' grates, and correlations with Tolkien�s creation
                                          are only cursory."

                                          Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read, the ones I'm inclined to
                                          nominate for the award are _Tolkien in the Land of Heroes_ by Anne C.
                                          Petty, _Tolkien the Medievalist_ ed. by Jane Chance (selectively: some's
                                          excellent, some's mediocre), _Tolkien and the Great War_ by John Garth, and
                                          _Following Gandalf_ by Matthew Dickerson. The absolute _worst_ new book on
                                          Tolkien this year is _Untangling Tolkien_ by Michael W. Perry.
                                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 17, 2003
                                            In a message dated 12/16/2003 6:28:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                                            dbratman@... writes:

                                            >Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read,

                                            My, that's a lot!

                                            Diamond Proudbrook

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 18, 2003
                                              At 04:07 PM 12/17/2003 -0500, Stolzi@... wrote:
                                              >In a message dated 12/16/2003 6:28:50 PM Central Standard Time,
                                              >dbratman@... writes:
                                              >
                                              >>Of the 2003 books about Tolkien that I've read,
                                              >
                                              >My, that's a lot!

                                              It seems like that many. In truth, I believe that over the years I've read
                                              at least a hundred books about Tolkien alone, not counting books only
                                              partially about him. That's most, but not quite all, of the full-length
                                              books about Tolkien in English, not counting books in other languages (of
                                              which I've read only a few) or fugitive pamphlets (of which I've read a lot).

                                              - David Bratman
                                            • regisdanilo
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 19, 2004
                                                Any idea when the nominations for this year´s awards will be announced?

                                                Olaf
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 19, 2004
                                                  At 03:00 PM 4/19/2004 +0000, Olaf wrote:
                                                  >Any idea when the nominations for this year´s awards will be announced?

                                                  Deadline for first-ballot voting is May 15, so soon after that.

                                                  - David Bratman
                                                • regisdanilo
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 19, 2004
                                                    Thanks,