Another topic

  • Kevin Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 1999
      Just to throw some more variety into the discussion, I'd like to hear opinions on
      Guy Gavriel Kay's latest, "Sailing to Sarantium". I've just finished Book One, and
      while I'm waiting patiently for Book Two to come out to read, I'm not entirely into
      the book. It still has its good points, but it seems to me to fall far short of the
      greatness he achieved in the Tapestry, and even in Tiganna, Song for Arbonne and The
      Lions of Al-Rassan. I thought all the previous books were excellent, and The
      Tapestry to be one of the finest pieces of literature I've ever read (so much so
      that I'd probably rank it just below Tolkien's work; and if I were less of a fan,
      then at about the same level).

      One thing that really bothered me about this new book is the language. I found it
      to be much more offensive than any of his previous books. The sexual imagery is on
      about the same level as in the others, but I'm also wondering if it is more
      gratuitous (even in his other non-Tapestry books). I could see the centrality of
      the imagery in the Tapestry, and to various extents in some of the others. I
      suppose I'm wondering if sexuality has become more of a selling strategy, or if it
      is sadly such a dominant part of society that it must be included in the literature
      of the times, or does it truly have some literary value.

      But beside that, I found that Kay used so many curse words that the story suffered
      greatly (and I also believe that the same thing, although he used less, also hurt
      his other works). He seems to spend more time throwing out curse words than
      developing the characters. None of them are as strong as the characters in his
      early works.

      So, overall, I would say this is an inferior effort for Kay. Somehow or other,
      however, he does hold my interest enough that I still plan on buying the second book
      to finish reading the story.

      Other opinions?

      Kevin Grant
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 1999
        Kevin Grant wrote:

        > From: Kevin Grant <034571g@...>
        >
        > Just to throw some more variety into the discussion, I'd like to hear opinions on
        > Guy Gavriel Kay's latest, "Sailing to Sarantium". I've just finished Book One, and
        > while I'm waiting patiently for Book Two to come out to read, I'm not entirely into
        > the book. It still has its good points, but it seems to me to fall far short of the
        > greatness he achieved in the Tapestry, and even in Tiganna, Song for Arbonne and The
        > Lions of Al-Rassan. I thought all the previous books were excellent, and The
        > Tapestry to be one of the finest pieces of literature I've ever read (so much so
        > that I'd probably rank it just below Tolkien's work; and if I were less of a fan,
        > then at about the same level).
        >
        > One thing that really bothered me about this new book is the language. I found it
        > to be much more offensive than any of his previous books. The sexual imagery is on
        > about the same level as in the others, but I'm also wondering if it is more
        > gratuitous (even in his other non-Tapestry books). I could see the centrality of
        > the imagery in the Tapestry, and to various extents in some of the others. I
        > suppose I'm wondering if sexuality has become more of a selling strategy, or if it
        > is sadly such a dominant part of society that it must be included in the literature
        > of the times, or does it truly have some literary value.
        >
        > But beside that, I found that Kay used so many curse words that the story suffered
        > greatly (and I also believe that the same thing, although he used less, also hurt
        > his other works). He seems to spend more time throwing out curse words than
        > developing the characters. None of them are as strong as the characters in his
        > early works.
        >
        > So, overall, I would say this is an inferior effort for Kay. Somehow or other,
        > however, he does hold my interest enough that I still plan on buying the second book
        > to finish reading the story.
        >
        > Other opinions?
        >
        > Kevin Grant
        Keith: This comes late according to Internet standards; sorry.
        Have not read any Kay, though I have the *Fionnvarr Tapestry.* Sorry to
        hear that Kay is descending to the level of using language as you
        describe---seems to me that if one wants to be faithful to a fantasy
        idiom that the characters would not pepper their speech with four-letter
        words unless he is trying to depict a culture which has some reason for
        using this kind of speech (perhaps in verbal one-upsmanship games, like
        "playing the dozens," or something similar). One of the reasons I like
        fantasy is because characters do not use the modern idioms as part of
        their behavior. (Katherine Kurtz, good as she is, often has her
        political councils engaging in too much realpolitik.) As for language,
        people of the past certainly referred to and used bawdy speech (look at
        certain passages of Shakespeare), but they are skillful insulters, and
        can really weild a verbal rapier! ---djb
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 1999
          Kevin: It just occurred to me that your name is KEVIN, not Keith. A
          thousand pardons for the slip. ---djb.