Re: [mythsoc] Fan Fiction sites

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2002
      In a message dated 2/16/2002 9:53:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > And it sounds like I should start writing less fantasy porn and more PG
      > rated
      > stuff.

      I say: write whatever speaks to you! Self-censorship is not your friend.

      As for getting more good stuff out there: you betcha. Porn as a genre
      presents a number of serious technical challenges, some of which are quite
      similar to the technical challenges posed by SF (language problems,
      suspension-of-disbelief issues, characerization, etc.) I have complicated
      theories about all this and actually gave a conference paper on it a few
      years ago; suffice it to say that I don't think porn necessarily has to be
      badly written, and that I admire people who are brave enough to take it
      seriously and try to do it well.

      I've heard a number of priests and psychologists observe that worship and sex
      are both about the desire for union. It's a pity that there's so little
      fiction -- or nonfiction, for that matter -- which grants genuine, felt
      sexuality anything like the importance it plays in many people's lives.

      But perhaps we wander too far OT here . . . anyway, since sex is so lacking
      in LotR, I understand why it's the element that a lot of fanwriters have
      concentrated on recuperating. I don't see that as disrespectful; I think
      it's their attempt to bring to Middle Earth their own experience as embodied
      creatures.

      Am I being scandalous yet? <g>

      Susan