Re: Mylwaukee Weather

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 1999
      In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
      fisher@... writes:

      > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
      > >doing research at the Wade Center

      Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
      in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
      at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

      Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
      Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
      yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
      which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
      who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
      priests have to stay there longer.

      I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
      Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

      Mary S
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 1999
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > fisher@... writes:
        >
        > > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
        > > >doing research at the Wade Center
        >
        > Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
        > in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
        > at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

        Since this has been mentioned twice, I'll address it, even though it's a
        private matter. David was in both Milwaukee and in Wheaton at the
        Wade. No, he wasn't bilocating. (No Padre Pio, he.) He flew into
        Milwaukee, drove to Wheaton for research, drove a bunch of other places
        in the Midwest (he's called me every night with the same weather report,
        no matter where he's been: it's always hot and humid). He'll be
        obviously going back to Milwaukee to pick up his lovely wife and her
        intrepid traveling companion, Edith, Warrior Steward.

        > Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
        > Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
        > yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
        > which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
        > who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
        > priests have to stay there longer.

        Perhaps this is why it's no longer confined to the little
        confessionals. They have big mass (no pun intended) services and you
        queue up for a face-to-face confession with the pastor and various
        rent-a-priests. (My church doesn't even have any confessionals. I have
        to go to another parish if I want to be anonymous.)

        > I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
        > Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

        Alas, my luggage constraints do not allow any packing of costume or
        banner. That electric fan I packed was a high priority.

        Berni, Worrier Princess

        No, thank you, I don't want any of the following: