Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 830

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14 6:31 AM
      From: jchristopher@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 11:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 830

      Susan Palwick wrote:

      >> So I joined Mythsoc hoping I could get
      >>some sense of current, burning issues in Tolkien criticism; I'd also be
      >>interested in hearing from people who've already taught similar courses.
      >>

      >Burning issues? What burning issues? (Outside of comments one way or the
      >other on the movie.)

      Oh, I don't know. There was a pretty intense umm... discussion... here not too long ago about what it was that Hal really saw on the north moors. 8-)

      >Someone recently on an email discussion, perhaps this one--I don't
      >remember--said that Tolkien's non-Germanic sources need to be discussed.
      The one disagreement I've heard some people have with Shippey is that he puts _too much_ weight on Tolkien's Anglo-Saxon influences, almost to the exclusion of others. I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to have my own opinion on the matter, but it is, at least, a current issue, so might be interesting to look into.

      --Trudy

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor