Re: Mylwaukee Weather

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 1999
      I disagree a bit with SSchaper and suggest that Elves would have disapproved
      the air conditioner, they would have been past masters of the art of
      designing and siting houses and planting trees etc. to create natural cool.

      In my computer tech vocabulary there was a cantrip, "RYFM." It stood for,
      more or less, "Read Your Manual."

      I finally went back and re-read the Progress Report which informs all hobbits
      coming to Mylwaukee that some of the meeting rooms and the dining hall (joy!)
      have a/c, the bedrooms do not, but supposedly have fans. Just to be sure,
      I'm toting my own.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 1999
        In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
        fisher@... writes:

        > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
        > >doing research at the Wade Center

        Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
        in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
        at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

        Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
        Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
        yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
        which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
        who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
        priests have to stay there longer.

        I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
        Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

        Mary S
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 1999
          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > From: Stolzi@...
          >
          > In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > fisher@... writes:
          >
          > > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
          > > >doing research at the Wade Center
          >
          > Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
          > in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
          > at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

          Since this has been mentioned twice, I'll address it, even though it's a
          private matter. David was in both Milwaukee and in Wheaton at the
          Wade. No, he wasn't bilocating. (No Padre Pio, he.) He flew into
          Milwaukee, drove to Wheaton for research, drove a bunch of other places
          in the Midwest (he's called me every night with the same weather report,
          no matter where he's been: it's always hot and humid). He'll be
          obviously going back to Milwaukee to pick up his lovely wife and her
          intrepid traveling companion, Edith, Warrior Steward.

          > Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
          > Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
          > yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
          > which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
          > who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
          > priests have to stay there longer.

          Perhaps this is why it's no longer confined to the little
          confessionals. They have big mass (no pun intended) services and you
          queue up for a face-to-face confession with the pastor and various
          rent-a-priests. (My church doesn't even have any confessionals. I have
          to go to another parish if I want to be anonymous.)

          > I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
          > Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

          Alas, my luggage constraints do not allow any packing of costume or
          banner. That electric fan I packed was a high priority.

          Berni, Worrier Princess

          No, thank you, I don't want any of the following: