Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 830

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      on 2/13/02 4:15 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com at mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      wrote:
      And don't we have a monthly Discussion Group in Reno? We did, at least at
      one point. You might want to attend a meeting at some point--even if it's
      not exactly you're regular cup of tea, they might like to discuss one of
      your books some time, with you. Or you might get some different
      perspectives on Tolkien or even Charles Williams (or "Chuck" as some in the
      Society fondly know him). Or some of your students might want to know about
      the local DG. --David Lenander, Former Secretary for DGs.

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:39:38 EST
      > From: SusanPal@...
      > Subject: Intro
      >
      > Hello! My name's Susan Palwick and I teach English (lit and writing) at the
      > University of Nevada, Reno -- where, I just learned to my delight, I'll be
      > teaching a Tolkien course next fall. (I plan to concentrate on LotR, the
      > Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.) So I joined Mythsoc hoping I could get
      > some sense of current, burning issues in Tolkien criticism; I'd also be
      > interested in hearing from people who've already taught similar courses.
      >
      > Oh, yes, and I'm also a Lewis fan from way back, although I'm sadly
      > unfamiliar with Charles Williams. And I write SF/F myself, and am currently
      > teaching a grad seminar in writing speculative fiction (where we've talked
      > quite a bit about Tolkien), so I guess I fit in here in a number of ways!
      >
      > Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Susan

      -- David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811
      d-lena@... 651-292-8887
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        In a message dated 2/13/2002 4:55:58 PM Pacific Standard Time, d-lena@...
        writes:

        > And don't we have a monthly Discussion Group in Reno?

        Your website says you do, but I tried to e-mail them a few days ago and
        haven't heard anything back, so I wonder if it's defunct. I did forward to
        my grad students (the ones taking my seminar in writing speculative fiction)
        the Mythcon CFP . . . not sure I'll be able to get to that, but it sure
        sounds like fun! (I also really want to go to Wiscon; we'll see if I make it
        to that one, either.)

        Thanks for the thought!

        Susan

      • Trudy Shaw