Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 830

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      In a message dated 2/13/2002 9:41:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      jchristopher@... writes:

      > Burning issues? What burning issues? (Outside of comments one way or the
      > other on the movie.)

      Ha! Well, if there are none, that's good to know too. But thank you for
      everything you mentioned!

      > The fight is still on over Tolkien's merits as a writer, as you realize
      > from Tom Shippey's _J. R. R. Tolkien: Author of the Century_.

      I realized it even without reading Shippey, which I still have to do (shame,
      shame: but we all have huge books-to-be-read lists, yes?). When my chair
      agreed to let me teach the Tolkien course -- instead of freshman comp, I
      might add -- he couldn't resist adding, "But I should think you'd set your
      sights higher." And this from someone who'd told me not ten minutes before
      that he hasn't even read Tolkien! How can one presume to have an informed
      opinion on a book one hasn't read? That's the kind of thing we try to teach
      our students NOT to do, right?

      Right?

      *Sigh*

      (Meanwhile, a senior colleague came dancing up to me in the hallway yesterday
      and said, "I want to *take* your Tolkien course!" So there!)

      Susan

    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        on 2/13/02 4:15 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com at mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        wrote:
        And don't we have a monthly Discussion Group in Reno? We did, at least at
        one point. You might want to attend a meeting at some point--even if it's
        not exactly you're regular cup of tea, they might like to discuss one of
        your books some time, with you. Or you might get some different
        perspectives on Tolkien or even Charles Williams (or "Chuck" as some in the
        Society fondly know him). Or some of your students might want to know about
        the local DG. --David Lenander, Former Secretary for DGs.

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:39:38 EST
        > From: SusanPal@...
        > Subject: Intro
        >
        > Hello! My name's Susan Palwick and I teach English (lit and writing) at the
        > University of Nevada, Reno -- where, I just learned to my delight, I'll be
        > teaching a Tolkien course next fall. (I plan to concentrate on LotR, the
        > Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.) So I joined Mythsoc hoping I could get
        > some sense of current, burning issues in Tolkien criticism; I'd also be
        > interested in hearing from people who've already taught similar courses.
        >
        > Oh, yes, and I'm also a Lewis fan from way back, although I'm sadly
        > unfamiliar with Charles Williams. And I write SF/F myself, and am currently
        > teaching a grad seminar in writing speculative fiction (where we've talked
        > quite a bit about Tolkien), so I guess I fit in here in a number of ways!
        >
        > Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Susan

        -- David Lenander
        293 Selby Ave. St. Paul, MN 55102-1811
        d-lena@... 651-292-8887
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
          In a message dated 2/13/2002 4:55:58 PM Pacific Standard Time, d-lena@...
          writes:

          > And don't we have a monthly Discussion Group in Reno?

          Your website says you do, but I tried to e-mail them a few days ago and
          haven't heard anything back, so I wonder if it's defunct. I did forward to
          my grad students (the ones taking my seminar in writing speculative fiction)
          the Mythcon CFP . . . not sure I'll be able to get to that, but it sure
          sounds like fun! (I also really want to go to Wiscon; we'll see if I make it
          to that one, either.)

          Thanks for the thought!

          Susan

        • Trudy Shaw