Poor old Harry...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      "The Ministry of Education and Youth in the United Arab Emirates has banned
      Harry Potter from private school [where expatriates are educated], because it
      is contrary to Islamic values. "

      Here's the link
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1816000/1816012.stm

      ANIMAL FARM is on the banned list, too, btw.
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        In a message dated 2/13/2002 9:37:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > "The Ministry of Education and Youth in the United Arab Emirates has banned
        > Harry Potter from private school [where expatriates are educated], because
        > it
        > is contrary to Islamic values. "

        Hey, it's been burned by some Christians here in the States, hasn't it?
        (Perhaps that's already been discussed here.) I myself have curious
        reactions to HP for generic reasons; I enjoy the books, but feel that
        formally, they're mysteries rather than fantasy. This begins to change in
        the fourth book, where there's more sense of darkness and of genuine,
        dangerous magic (previously, the magic tends to operate as a spiritually
        neutral technology); she ends the fourth book where LotR begins, of course,
        with the Dark Lord returning to power. So it will be interesting to see
        where the series goes from here.

        But banning books . . . ! Horrors! It makes me think of the conversation
        Gandalf has with Frodo about Gollum: "Even the wisest cannot foresee all
        ends." Even if we personally dislike certain books, how can we say they
        won't ultimately do good in the world?

        Not to mention the First Amendment. <g>

        Well, and I've now revealed myself as a Thoroughly Opinionated Person!

        Susan

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
          BTW, "Animal Farm" is banned by the UAE, it seems, not so much for the
          political message as because some of the main characters are PIGS, and they
          drink ALCOHOL.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2002
            << Hey, it's been burned by some Christians here in the States, hasn't it?
            (Perhaps that's already been discussed here.) >>

            By some Christians, yes. Aarrgghh!

            Then there are sincere, intelligent and lovely Christian folk who think that using a friendly dragon in a fantasy setting (to help Liam Rhenford, an informal detective of sorts, to solve murders) is a harbinger of the New Age world-view. (I shudder to think what other well-used tropes of fantasy would bring to mind. Telepathy, for instance.) Sigh. Those of us who have read *real* New Age stuff know how seriously they take it! Daniel Hood (the alleged perpatrator) is nothing more than a New York layout person who recently lost his job at his newspaper because of Sept. 11. ACK! ---djb

            << I myself have curious
            reactions to HP for generic reasons; I enjoy the books, but feel that
            formally, they're mysteries rather than fantasy. >>

            I see your point. It does seem to be a lot of puzzle solving, along with all the fun events that happen at the magic school, and the release of getting to see poor Harry finally get some love and affection.

            << This begins to change in the fourth book, where there's more sense of darkness and of genuine, dangerous magic (previously, the magic tends to operate as a spiritually neutral technology); she ends the fourth book where LotR begins, of course, with the Dark Lord returning to power. So it will be interesting to see where the series goes from here. >>

            Definitely. I am sure that the gathering darkness will alarm the usual suspects.

            << But banning books . . . ! Horrors! It makes me think of the conversation Gandalf has with Frodo about Gollum: "Even the wisest cannot foresee all ends." Even if we personally dislike certain books, how can we say they won't ultimately do good in the world? >>

            Even if all the good they do is to provide a few hours of amusement, and keep the person away from TV. That's something!

            <<Not to mention the First Amendment. <g> >>

            Not as secure as it once was (IMHO) if certain bills got passed last night, but that's off topic.

            << Well, and I've now revealed myself as a Thoroughly Opinionated Person!>>

            Just like all of us! ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2002
              In a message dated 2/14/2002 8:09:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              dianejoy@... writes:

              > Definitely. I am sure that the gathering darkness will alarm the usual
              > suspects.

              If you're talking about the book-burners -- well, not necessarily. I read a
              story about various conservative Christian groups (and I'm Christian myself,
              so I mean so offense here, although my own flavor is liberal Episcopalian)
              who actually came out in SUPPORT of Lord of the Rings because a) it's about a
              clearly-defined battle between good and evil, b) it's written by an orthodox
              Christian (although Rowling's Church of Scotland herself) and c) Gandalf
              isn't a wizard, he's an archangel. So I wonder if HP might be *more*
              acceptable to that camp when it becomes even more clearly a standoff between
              He Who Must Not Be Named and the forces of light.

              Susan