Academy Award nominations, more detail

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2002
      ________________________
      BEST PICTURE
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => GOSFORD PARK
      => IN THE BEDROOM
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MOULIN ROUGE

      ________________________
      SUPPORTING ACTOR
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => Jim Broadbent
      => Ethan Hawke
      => Ben Kingsley
      => Ian McKellen
      => Jon Voight

      ______
      DIRECTING
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => BLACK HAWK DOWN
      => GOSFORD PARK
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MULHOLLAND DRIVE
      ________________________
      ART DIRECTION
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => AMÉLIE
      => GOSFORD PARK
      => HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MOULIN ROUGE

      ________________________
      CINEMATOGRAPHY
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => AMÉLIE
      => BLACK HAWK DOWN
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE
      => MOULIN ROUGE
      ________________________
      COSTUME DESIGN
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => THE AFFAIR OF THE NECKLACE
      => GOSFORD PARK
      => HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MOULIN ROUGE

      ______________________________
      FILM EDITING
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => BLACK HAWK DOWN
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MEMENTO
      => MOULIN ROUGE
      ______________________________
      MAKEUP
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MOULIN ROUGE
      ______________________________
      MUSIC (SCORE)
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MONSTERS, INC.
      ______________________________
      MUSIC (SONG)
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => KATE & LEOPOLD
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MONSTERS, INC.
      => PEARL HARBOR
      => VANILLA SKY

      ______________________________
      SOUND
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => AMÉLIE
      => BLACK HAWK DOWN
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => MOULIN ROUGE
      => PEARL HARBOR

      __________
      VISUAL EFFECTS
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => PEARL HARBOR
      ______________________________
      WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      => A BEAUTIFUL MIND
      => GHOST WORLD
      => IN THE BEDROOM
      => THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
      => SHREK
      ______________________________
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2002
        Columnist (and erstwhile movie critic) Rod Dreher thinks the Academy will
        give the nod to BEAUTIFUL MIND. I think he is suggesting that they will see
        it as fitting their traditional wavelength of "This is a Great and Uplifting
        Story."

        Quoted material follows

        ' My take on the just-announced nominations: the Best Picture race is really
        between "A Beautiful Mind" and "Lord of the Rings." My suspicion is that the
        schmaltzy "Beautiful Mind" has to be the favorite, especially with the
        old-skewing Academy voters, though the brilliant fantasy epic "Lord of the
        Rings" by rights ought to win. (Ron Howard will win Best Director for the
        first time, too, which is crushing when you think about the astonishingly
        imaginative work done by "LOTR'"s Peter Jackson). Tom Wilkinson ("In the
        Bedroom") absolutely deserves to win Best Actor, though Russell Crowe, alas,
        is a shoo-in for "A Beautiful Mind." "Bedroom" will win its top Oscar for
        Sissy Spacek in the Best Actress category. Marisa Tomei, should win and will
        win a Supporting Actress trophy for "In the Bedroom." I was surprised to see
        Ian McKellen in the Supporting Actor category for his pivotal role as Gandalf
        in "LOTR"; if he doesn't win this one going away, he should turn Oscar voters
        into newts. Finally, the hottest competition will be in the Best Adapted
        Screenplay category, which features as its leading contenders "A Beautiful
        Mind," "Lord of the Rings" and "In the Bedroom." "Bedroom" has no serious
        shot at Best Picture, so it could be rewarded here. But I think it's more
        likely that Oscar will give Best Picture to "Beautiful Mind," Best Director
        to Ron Howard, and reward "LOTR" in the lesser categories of Supporting Actor
        and Adapted Screenplay. Anyway, if you've read the first book in the LOTR
        trilogy, you know what an incredible job the filmmakers did shoehorning that
        complex narrative into a three-hour film. '

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2002
          In a message dated 2/13/2002 2:52:09 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > Columnist (and erstwhile movie critic) Rod Dreher thinks the Academy will
          > give the nod to BEAUTIFUL MIND. I think he is suggesting that they will
          > see
          > it as fitting their traditional wavelength of "This is a Great and
          > Uplifting
          > Story."

          Well, this is other Academy's version of "Tolkien can't be a serious writer,"
          right? It's fantasy, so it can't be real. I haven't seen BEAUTIFUL MIND so
          I can't comment on it firsthand, but I've heard that it simplifies and
          sanitizes Nash's life. I was a student at Princeton in the early '80s and
          frequently saw Nash on campus, and got fiercely scolded by my physics TA when
          I complained about the weird homeless guy who hung out in the math library --
          "Susan, let me tell you who that is and why we allow him to stay here" -- so
          I feel a certain connection to the story. Oddly enough, that's why I've been
          leery about seeing the film. I do want, very much, to read the book.

          Anyway, it looks like we've got a contest between two Great and Uplifting
          Stories: one which claims to be history but in certain key details isn't,
          and one which doesn't claim to be history but is, on a deep metaphorical
          level, Truer than much journalism -- which is why it's been so enduringly
          popular for so long and has thus earned the enmity of various academics who
          are suspicious of anything that's popular.

          Go figure. Complicated world we live in, eh?

          Susan

        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2002
            >Well, this is other Academy's version of "Tolkien can't be a serious writer,"
            right? It's fantasy, so it can't be real...

            When one movie has so many more Oscar nominations than any of the competition (LotR/Fotr's 13 to 8 by the two closest "runners-up"), it's normally the major favorite for best picture. That's not true this year. Some say that's because so many of LotR/FotR's nominations are in "technical" categories, but I wouldn't be surprised if your point is hidden underneath some of that. A fantasy movie has never won best picture, so just by being nominated LotR/FotR is unusual. Another thing that I think could affect the voting in a major way is the voters knowing that there are two more movies coming, so they have two more "chances" to reward the work, especially in the acting categories*. This may not be completely logical, but it seems to be the kind of thing the Oscar voters take into account. Wouldn't it be fitting, though, if the first fantasy movie to win best picture would be one based on Tolkien's work, whether the _first_ award is for 2001, 2002, or 2003?

            --Trudy

            *Let's keep it quiet until the voting's over that Gandalf _is_ in the other two movies. 8-)

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2002
              In a message dated 2/13/02 5:11:21 PM Central Standard Time, SusanPal@...
              writes:

              > Well, this is other Academy's version of "Tolkien can't be a serious
              writer,"

              > right? It's fantasy, so it can't be real.

              Well, Susan, maybe I am putting words in Dreher's mouth. Perhaps when he
              spoke of the "old-skewing" at the Academy, he means that they simply are not
              into fantasy film like us, ahem, young dudes :)

              But there is a well-known tendency to go for "uplift" over the entertaining
              or funny or bitter film - GANDHI is often cited as an example of the sort of
              film the Academy likes to reward.

              Diamond Proudbrook
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 14, 2002
                In a message dated 2/14/2002 9:17:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                tgshaw@... writes:

                > A fantasy movie has never won best picture, so just by being nominated
                > LotR/FotR is unusual.

                About ten years ago, I predicted that it would be about this year that the
                first fantasy and/or science fiction film would win the Oscar and also that
                somewhere around this time the first Australian or New Zealand film would win
                the Oscar. I made this prediction based on my rule that there's a
                thirty-year lag in Academy voters' perceptions of a genre's quality. For
                instance, the best Westerns made in Hollywood came out in the years between
                1956 and 1962, but except for _Cimmarron_ back in 1931, there was no Western
                winning the Oscar until _Dances with Wolves_ in 1990 and _Unforgiven_ in
                1992. The average Academy voter is well into middle age and thus got their
                first education in film at least thirty years before. It seems to me that
                science fiction and fantasy films began being made regularly with large
                budgets a little more than thirty years ago. It further seems to me that
                Australian and New Zealand films began being seen in the U.S. with any
                regularity a little less than thirty years ago. I thus think that it's about
                the point that the first science fiction and/or fantasy film will win and
                also about the time that the first Australian or New Zealand film will win.
                _The Lord of the Rings_ fits on both counts.

              • SusanPal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14, 2002
                  In a message dated 2/14/2002 8:29:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, Stolzi@...
                  writes:

                  > But there is a well-known tendency to go for "uplift" over the entertaining
                  > or funny or bitter film - GANDHI is often cited as an example of the sort
                  > of
                  > film the Academy likes to reward.

                  Yes, exactly. But LotR *also* qualifies as "uplift," no? It sure does in my
                  book!

                  Susan