Re: [mythsoc] Intro

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2002
      From: <SusanPal@...>

      > Hello! My name's Susan Palwick and I teach English (lit and writing) at
      the
      > University of Nevada, Reno -- where, I just learned to my delight, I'll be
      > teaching a Tolkien course next fall.

      <etc.>

      Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_? (I may be misremembering the
      title somewhat.) It was on at least the long list for the MFA some years
      ago. I was uncomfortable with the subject matter (the heroine was a victim
      of child abuse -- I believe it was incestuous) but thought the book
      excellent nevertheless.

      Berni
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2002
        In a message dated 2/12/2002 5:23:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        > Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_?

        Gracious! You have an excellent memory, since the book's out of print! Yes,
        I wrote that one (and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're not
        alone there).

        Thanks for the kind words!

        Susan

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2002
          In a message dated 2/12/02 6:47:12 PM Central Standard Time, SusanPal@...
          writes:

          > I fit in here in a number of ways!

          And you would surely fit in at a Mythcon, and might want to present a paper
          on Tolkien and/or Lewis. Do check out our webpage about the Conferences.

          Welcome!

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
            bernip@... writes:

            >> Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_?

            >Gracious! You have an excellent memory, since the book's out of print! Yes,
            I wrote that one (and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're not
            alone there).

            >Thanks for the kind words!

            >Susan

            Susan, I apologize for not remembering your name, but I recognized _Flying in Place_ immediately so I'm glad Bernie made the connection! The psychologist I worked for a few years ago (I'm with an oncology department now) used it with some of his patients. He was quite impressed with its insights and how it could provide them within a _story_, which is more accessible for many people than a nonfiction book.
            -- Trudy

          • SusanPal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2002
              In a message dated 2/14/2002 5:52:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              tgshaw@... writes:

              > The psychologist I worked for a few years ago (I'm with an oncology
              > department now) used it with some of his patients. He was quite impressed
              > with its insights and how it could provide them within a _story_, which is
              > more accessible for many people than a nonfiction book.

              Oh, COOL! Thanks so much for sharing that! That made my day!

              Susan