Intro

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12 4:39 PM
      Hello! My name's Susan Palwick and I teach English (lit and writing) at the
      University of Nevada, Reno -- where, I just learned to my delight, I'll be
      teaching a Tolkien course next fall. (I plan to concentrate on LotR, the
      Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.) So I joined Mythsoc hoping I could get
      some sense of current, burning issues in Tolkien criticism; I'd also be
      interested in hearing from people who've already taught similar courses.

      Oh, yes, and I'm also a Lewis fan from way back, although I'm sadly
      unfamiliar with Charles Williams. And I write SF/F myself, and am currently
      teaching a grad seminar in writing speculative fiction (where we've talked
      quite a bit about Tolkien), so I guess I fit in here in a number of ways!

      Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

      Cheers,
      Susan
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12 5:17 PM
        From: <SusanPal@...>

        > Hello! My name's Susan Palwick and I teach English (lit and writing) at
        the
        > University of Nevada, Reno -- where, I just learned to my delight, I'll be
        > teaching a Tolkien course next fall.

        <etc.>

        Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_? (I may be misremembering the
        title somewhat.) It was on at least the long list for the MFA some years
        ago. I was uncomfortable with the subject matter (the heroine was a victim
        of child abuse -- I believe it was incestuous) but thought the book
        excellent nevertheless.

        Berni
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12 6:24 PM
          In a message dated 2/12/2002 5:23:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          > Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_?

          Gracious! You have an excellent memory, since the book's out of print! Yes,
          I wrote that one (and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're not
          alone there).

          Thanks for the kind words!

          Susan

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12 7:41 PM
            In a message dated 2/12/02 6:47:12 PM Central Standard Time, SusanPal@...
            writes:

            > I fit in here in a number of ways!

            And you would surely fit in at a Mythcon, and might want to present a paper
            on Tolkien and/or Lewis. Do check out our webpage about the Conferences.

            Welcome!

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14 5:50 AM
              bernip@... writes:

              >> Welcome! Didn't you write _Flying in Place_?

              >Gracious! You have an excellent memory, since the book's out of print! Yes,
              I wrote that one (and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're not
              alone there).

              >Thanks for the kind words!

              >Susan

              Susan, I apologize for not remembering your name, but I recognized _Flying in Place_ immediately so I'm glad Bernie made the connection! The psychologist I worked for a few years ago (I'm with an oncology department now) used it with some of his patients. He was quite impressed with its insights and how it could provide them within a _story_, which is more accessible for many people than a nonfiction book.
              -- Trudy

            • SusanPal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14 7:31 AM
                In a message dated 2/14/2002 5:52:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                tgshaw@... writes:

                > The psychologist I worked for a few years ago (I'm with an oncology
                > department now) used it with some of his patients. He was quite impressed
                > with its insights and how it could provide them within a _story_, which is
                > more accessible for many people than a nonfiction book.

                Oh, COOL! Thanks so much for sharing that! That made my day!

                Susan