Re: Mythlore

  • THEODORE SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 27, 1999
      I encourage all of you who read papers at last year's Mythcon Lewis Centennial to
      send me copies for possible publication next year in either a special, expanded
      issue of Mythlore (ala the Proceedings of the JRR Tolkien Centenary Conference)
      or perhaps in multiple isses dedicated to Lewis. Also, those of you presenting
      papers at Mythcon this week, please consider submitting your papers for future
      publication in Mythlore.

      Yours,

      Ted Sherman
      6545 Dynasty Drive
      Murfreesboro, TN 37128

      PS: Feel free to submit materials as Word 97 or ASCII plaintext email
      attachments.

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > I am longing to see the papers from the Lewiscon last year... they really
      > should be done in a festive, extra-type issue, like the "Green Book" from the
      > Tolkien Centenary.
      >
      > Mary S

      ������
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 28, 1999
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > I am longing to see the papers from the Lewiscon last year... they really should be done in a festive, extra-type issue, like the "Green Book" from the Tolkien Centenary.
        >
        > Mary S

        I agree! Who wants to suggest it to the new editor? ---djb.
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 1999
          THEODORE SHERMAN wrote:

          > From: THEODORE SHERMAN <tedsherman@...>
          >
          > I encourage all of you who read papers at last year's Mythcon Lewis Centennial to
          > send me copies for possible publication next year in either a special, expanded
          > issue of Mythlore (ala the Proceedings of the JRR Tolkien Centenary Conference)
          > or perhaps in multiple isses dedicated to Lewis.

          I would reallly prefer the former. I know it's extra work, but you only
          need to do it ONCE. ---djb.

        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
            Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            > How do I check if my Mythlore (is that the big annual?) subscription is
            > current? I am so befuddled I am not sure if I got mine already. Would it
            > have been dated 2002 ?

            The current issue of Mythlore is issue 90, Volume 23, number 4,
            Fall-Winter 2002

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 22, 2004
              _Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
              and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
              within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
              Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

              Vol. 92 will include the following articles:

              _His Dark Materials_: A Look into Pullman's Interpretation of Milton's
              _Paradise Lost_, Karen D. Robinson
              A Note on Charles Williams's Phillida, Joe R. Christopher
              Lewis's _Screwtape Letters_: The Ascetic Devil and the Aesthetic God, Larry
              D. Harwood
              “The young perish and the old linger, withering”: J.R.R. Tolkien on World
              War II, Janet Brennan Croft
              _The Lord of the Rings_ as Elegy, Patrice Hannon
              A Larger World: C. S. Lewis on Christianity and Literature

              and possibly:

              So Familiar, Yet So Strange: Mythic Shadows of the Medieval
              _Gawain_-Romance in Iris Murdoch’s _Green
              Knight_, Carla Arnell

              Yours,

              Ted
            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                This is good to know -- thanks! Sounds like an interesting assortment of
                articles.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                  At 08:05 PM 3/22/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
                  >_Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
                  >and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
                  >within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
                  >Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

                  I hate to have to correct the editor of Mythlore, but what he's preparing
                  should be, on past standards, _issue_ 92, not volume 92. It should be
                  volume 24 no. 2, though if the twice-a-year schedule is firm, we may want
                  to change to two issues per volume at some point. (Mythlore had two issues
                  per volume at one time in the past.) But to actually convert the old issue
                  numbers to volume numbers and drop the old volume numbering would
                  dreadfully confuse serials librarians and make them very unhappy.

                  Whatever its number, though, I'm looking forward to this issue.

                  - David Bratman
                • Margaret Dean
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                    alexeik@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 11/3/4 5:42:24 PM, Ted Sherman wrote:
                    >
                    > <<PS: Mythlore went out about two weeks ago, so if you haven't received your
                    > copy yet, please let us know.
                    > >>

                    > I got my copy yesterday.
                    > Alexei

                    Me too!

                    --Margaret Dean
                    <margdean@...>
                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                      Received Poor Souls Day
                      [aka Election Day]
                      in Metamora, Illinois.

                      Mike

                    • jack@greenmanreview.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
                        J.R.R. Tolkien placed third in the Forbes.com list of `Top-Earning Dead
                        Celebrities Of 2004', with posthumous earnings of $23m. Ahead of him are
                        Elvis Presley ($40m) and Charles Schulz ($35m); the roster of the stinking
                        rich continues with John Lennon ($21m), Dr Seuss ($18m) and that icon of
                        many an sf story, Marilyn Monroe ($8m).

                        http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/Ansible/a208.html
                      • John Davis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011
                          Having finally gotten around to joining the Mythopoeic Society as an email-member (I've lurked on this list long enough that I thought it was about time!), I was both pleased and surprised to get a copy of Mythlore through the post. Pleased because, well, anything unexpected through my door regarding the Inklings is always good, and surprised because it is number 15, and apparently from 1977.

                          Which, aside from reminding me how nice it is to receive journals and zines by post instead of online, makes me wonder if someone can let me know how I sign up to receive more up-to-date editions?

                          Thanks,

                          John
                        • Croft, Janet B.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011

                            We send out an older sample issue with new memberships just to get you hooked like this! (See, it works!) Current subscriptions and additional back issues can be ordered through our website, below.

                            Janet Brennan Croft

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 21, 2011
                              Drat, I've been sucked in by your cunning marketing campaign!

                              I'll go sign up.

                              Thanks,

                              John