Re: [mythsoc] Carpenter's biography

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
      At 08:52 AM 2/6/2002 , Vincent Ferré wrote:

      >I do agree : Carpenter's biography is the best, even if it is sometimes too
      >exclusively factual ;

      I wonder what you mean, "too exclusively factual." As opposed to what?

      It seems to me that Carpenter shows great insight into Tolkien's
      personality and motivations. Other writers, particularly Michael White,
      finding the facts not exciting enough for them, have resorted to inventing
      the motivations they think Tolkien should have had.

      Joseph Pearce does not do this: his biography is a fairly decent book, I
      thought: he just did not have much new to say, nor did he delve very far
      into his special topic, Tolkien's religion.

      David Bratman