Re: [mythsoc] Carpenter's biography

  • Vincent Ferre
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
      thanks for your answer.
      I do agree : Carpenter's biography is the best, even if it is sometimes too exclusively factual ; I do not like Pearce's, nor Grotta's, not to speak of Coren's...

      Vincent Ferré

      The bibliography of Tolkien's writings has been updated and corrected in
      various reprintings. I believe the text remains unchanged, though a few
      factual errors - mostly about the details of the composition of Tolkien's
      works - have been uncovered in the course of work on the "History of
      Middle-earth" series.
      Carpenter's biography remains remarkably accurate and very insightful, far
      superior to any other biographies of Tolkien.

      David Bratman

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
        At 08:52 AM 2/6/2002 , Vincent Ferré wrote:

        >I do agree : Carpenter's biography is the best, even if it is sometimes too
        >exclusively factual ;

        I wonder what you mean, "too exclusively factual." As opposed to what?

        It seems to me that Carpenter shows great insight into Tolkien's
        personality and motivations. Other writers, particularly Michael White,
        finding the facts not exciting enough for them, have resorted to inventing
        the motivations they think Tolkien should have had.

        Joseph Pearce does not do this: his biography is a fairly decent book, I
        thought: he just did not have much new to say, nor did he delve very far
        into his special topic, Tolkien's religion.

        David Bratman