Re: [mythsoc] Carpenter's biography

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      The bibliography of Tolkien's writings has been updated and corrected in
      various reprintings. I believe the text remains unchanged, though a few
      factual errors - mostly about the details of the composition of Tolkien's
      works - have been uncovered in the course of work on the "History of
      Middle-earth" series.

      Carpenter's biography remains remarkably accurate and very insightful, far
      superior to any other biographies of Tolkien.

      David Bratman

      At 09:54 AM 2/5/2002 , Vincent Ferre wrote:
      >does anyone know if there is a difference between the original edition of
      >Carpenter's _JRR Tolkien. A Biography_ (1977, translated in French in 1980)
      >and the most recent one ? (new documents, updates, etc.)
    • Vincent Ferre

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
          At 08:52 AM 2/6/2002 , Vincent Ferré wrote:

          >I do agree : Carpenter's biography is the best, even if it is sometimes too
          >exclusively factual ;

          I wonder what you mean, "too exclusively factual." As opposed to what?

          It seems to me that Carpenter shows great insight into Tolkien's
          personality and motivations. Other writers, particularly Michael White,
          finding the facts not exciting enough for them, have resorted to inventing
          the motivations they think Tolkien should have had.

          Joseph Pearce does not do this: his biography is a fairly decent book, I
          thought: he just did not have much new to say, nor did he delve very far
          into his special topic, Tolkien's religion.

          David Bratman