Carpenter's biography

  • Vincent Ferre
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      good evening,

      does anyone know if there is a difference between the original edition of
      Carpenter's _JRR Tolkien. A Biography_ (1977, translated in French in 1980)
      and the most recent one ? (new documents, updates, etc.)
      thanks very much

      Vincent
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
        The bibliography of Tolkien's writings has been updated and corrected in
        various reprintings. I believe the text remains unchanged, though a few
        factual errors - mostly about the details of the composition of Tolkien's
        works - have been uncovered in the course of work on the "History of
        Middle-earth" series.

        Carpenter's biography remains remarkably accurate and very insightful, far
        superior to any other biographies of Tolkien.

        David Bratman

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
            At 08:52 AM 2/6/2002 , Vincent Ferré wrote:

            >I do agree : Carpenter's biography is the best, even if it is sometimes too
            >exclusively factual ;

            I wonder what you mean, "too exclusively factual." As opposed to what?

            It seems to me that Carpenter shows great insight into Tolkien's
            personality and motivations. Other writers, particularly Michael White,
            finding the facts not exciting enough for them, have resorted to inventing
            the motivations they think Tolkien should have had.

            Joseph Pearce does not do this: his biography is a fairly decent book, I
            thought: he just did not have much new to say, nor did he delve very far
            into his special topic, Tolkien's religion.

            David Bratman