The princes, the princesses, and the dragons

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
      The Princess of Shropshire and three other princesses were captured by four
      ferocious dragons. Luckily, they were rescued by four brave princes,
      including Prince Nathan; one of the four was the Prince of Chippenham. From
      the following clues, can you match each princess and her kingdom with the
      dragon who captured her and the prince, and his kingdom, who rescued her?

      1. Princess Genevieve, who was rescued by the Prince of Nottingham, was not
      the one captured by the dragon named Brujo.

      2. The Prince of Durham fought the dragon called Shrayik.

      3. Prince Geoffrey rescued the Princess of Cheshire.

      4. Princess Catherine was held captive by the fierce dragon named Trollkarl.

      5. Winifred was the Princess of Lancashire.

      6. Prince Lionel rescued Princess Regina.

      7. Prince Erwin lived in Huntingham.

      8. The dragon called Gespent captured the Princess of Berkshire.
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
        Okay, I've solved it. Sorry to quote Mary's whole message, but how can you
        check me out if I delete it? The answer is below.

        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > The Princess of Shropshire and three other princesses were captured by
        four
        > ferocious dragons. Luckily, they were rescued by four brave princes,
        > including Prince Nathan; one of the four was the Prince of Chippenham.
        From
        > the following clues, can you match each princess and her kingdom with the
        > dragon who captured her and the prince, and his kingdom, who rescued her?
        >
        > 1. Princess Genevieve, who was rescued by the Prince of Nottingham, was
        not
        > the one captured by the dragon named Brujo.
        >
        > 2. The Prince of Durham fought the dragon called Shrayik.
        >
        > 3. Prince Geoffrey rescued the Princess of Cheshire.
        >
        > 4. Princess Catherine was held captive by the fierce dragon named
        Trollkarl.

        > 5. Winifred was the Princess of Lancashire.
        >
        > 6. Prince Lionel rescued Princess Regina.
        >
        > 7. Prince Erwin lived in Huntingham.
        >
        > 8. The dragon called Gespent captured the Princess of Berkshire.

        Princess Genevieve of Berkshire was rescued by Prince Nathan of Nottingham
        from the dragon Gespent.

        Princess Regina of Shropshire was rescued by Prince Lionel of Durham from
        the dragon Shrayik.

        Princess Catherine of Cheshire was rescued by Prince Geoffey of Chippenham
        from the dragon Trollkarl.

        Princess Winifred of Lancashire was rescued by Prince Erwin of Huntingham
        from the dragon Brujo.

        As Hermione says in HP and the Sorceror's Stone*, "I know this -- it's
        logic!"

        Berni

        *Not to be confused with the current thriller, HP and the impending Compaq
        deal -- a whole other kind of horror.
      • jamcconney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
          Genevieve of Berkshire was captured by Gespent and rescued by Nathan of
          Nottingham

          Catherine of Cheshire was captured by Trollkarl and rescued by Geoffrey of
          Chippenham

          Winifred of Lancashire was captured by Brujo and rescued by Erwin of
          Huntingham

          Regina of Shropshire was captured by Shrayik and rescued by Lionel of Durham
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
            Good work, Berni!

            The magazine for my local elec. power coop. publishes a puzzle every month.
            This was the first one I'd been able to solve in quite a while - relieves me
            as to the state of my fading mental powers.

            It's also the first one to have a fantasy setting, so I thought I'd share it
            just for fun.

            Diamond Proudbrook