Re: [mythsoc] Corrections in the second edition of Wilson's biography

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2002
      On second thoughts, the book I tossed may have been the paperback without the
      egregious errors.

      I think the whole episode is symptomatic. I will quote below the passage
      from Lewis' letter to Barfield (June '38) which AN Wilson so misinterpreted.
      Readers will see that it =can= be, I won't say forced, but stretched to have
      the meaning he gives it (that the post-conversion Lewis disapproved of the
      listed pleasures). But it's my contention that the misinterpretation so
      shows the complete lack of understanding Wilson had for Lewis and how his
      mind worked, that it illustrates how unreliable the book is in general terms.

      Lewis said: "It frightens me almost. And so it did the other night when I
      heard two undergrads. giving a list of pleasures which were (a) Nazi. (b)
      Leading to homosexuality. They were, feeling the wind in your hair, walking
      with bare feet in the grass, and bathing in the rain. Think it over: it
      gets worse the longer you look at it."

      Diamond Proudbrook