Re: LOTR, a whine for Matt

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27 8:49 AM
      At 08:52 PM 7/26/99 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

      >> I don't suppose anyone from Mythsoc is advising on this project?
      >
      >No, nor anyone from the (British) Tolkien Society, which would be an even
      >more obvious choice. Apparently Peter Jackson has talked with Christopher
      >Tolkien.

      I've heard of various fans offering their services to the project, but I
      don't know of any who have been hired for it. As for Christopher, as far as
      I've heard, he has not talked with the producers and is staying as far from
      the production as he possibly can.

      Wayne Hammond
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29 4:59 AM
        I just wanted to further defend my saying:

        > Actually, it makes sense to film in New Zealand.

        It would seem that if one were to make a movie about place X, the obvious
        place to film it is in X. But that's not always the case. For instance, if
        one wants to make a film about turn-of-the-century New York, with streets
        crowded with immigrants and pushcarts, the best place to film it is not New
        York, but (I'm told) Montreal, which has some streets that look like
        turn-of-the-century New York.

        If it's true that Tolkien based some scenes from _The Lord of the Rings_ on
        places near where he grew up in Birmingham, it's also true that there's no
        longer anything there that looks Middle-Earthish to my eyes. Birmingham
        looks to me very much like a modern city. If I were to compare it to any
        American city, it would be Baltimore. It's not that there's any particular
        building or anything in the skyline of the two cities that looks particularly
        alike, but they are of approximately the same size and both grew up in the
        nineteenth century and were greatly built upon in the twentieth century.
        They both seem to me to be generic bland big cities.

        If we are to look further at the counties that constitute the western half of
        the Midlands area, there are little pieces that would be acceptable terrain
        for the Shire, assuming you do a little pruning of modern signs and such. I
        think, though, that you would have a lot of trouble finding enough open space
        even for scenes in the Shire.

        On the other hand, I've been told that there are many different types of
        scenery in New Zealand, and most of it hasn't been turned into a cliche by
        overfilming (the way, say, that Monument Valley has been turned into a cliche
        by Westerns). Peter Jackson has to film almost 9 hours of film set in a
        large variety of kinds of scenery. Perhaps he has decided that wandering
        around the world finding precisely the correct look for each scene would be
        too expensive. Perhaps he is correct in thinking that he can find the
        correct look just in New Zealand.

        Wendell Wagner
      • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29 5:20 AM

          Wayne Hammond wrote:

          > I've heard of various fans offering their services to the project, but I
          don't
          > know of any who have been hired for it. As for Christopher, as far as I've
          > heard, he has not talked with the producers and is staying as far from
          > the production as he possibly can.

          Oops, I guess I shouldn't have believed the gossip I read about the making of
          the film.