Why not the opera, as well?

  • yarrowp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      Dear friends,

      We can't take credit for this one, but the Central City Opera seems
      to have picked up on the theme for our conference.

      https://www.centralcityopera.org/dream2.html

      A Midsummer Night's Dream
      by Benjamin Britten

      "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind."

      ONE MYSTICAL, MOONLIT NIGHT in an enchanted forest is all Shakespeare
      needed to rewrite the rules of love. With mischief and magic, the
      fairy world restores peace and harmony, four young lovers find
      happiness, and six humble workers have their moment in the spotlight.
      Benjamin Britten's lighthearted opera faithfully catures the joyful
      merriment of the original play. Fall under the spell of this rich,
      romantic comedy. Performed in English.

      Performances near and on the conference weekend will be Tuesday July
      23, Friday July 26, Sunday matinee July 28, and Wednesday July 31.
      Ticket prices range from $42 to $72 and performances tend to sell out
      in advance.

      About Central City Opera
      Built in 1878 by Welsh and Cornish miners, the Central City Opera
      House has been restored to its Victorian splendor. The opera house is
      home to Central City Opera, the fifth-oldest opera company in the
      United States, founded in 1932. The national summer opera festival
      draws patrons from 46 states, presenting works of artistic excellence
      from standard and 20th century repertoire. Numerous stars of the
      opera and stage have performed in the Central City summer festivals,
      including Beverly Sills, Jerome Hines, Lillian Gish, Helen Hayes,
      Samuel Ramey, and Catherine Malfitano. For more than 20 years, the
      prestigious Bonfils-Stanton Foundation Artists Training Program has
      served as a national model for training young singers. Successful
      commissions for the company include the American classic THE BALLAD
      OF BABY DOE and the popular one-act opera THE FACE ON THE BARROOM
      FLOOR; the company's recordings of both operas are in international
      distribution.

      Central City is in the foothills west of Golden, south of Boulder.
      The former mining community now hosts limited stakes gambling, but
      unlike its neighbor, Black Hawk, Central City has chosen to preserve
      its historic atmosphere.

      If people are interested in getting a group together to attend one of
      the performances, let your conference committee know and we'll see if
      we can arrange it.

      Pat