Source of "Not another effing elf" story

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2002
      For any who have the need to refute this new urban legend or modern myth in
      some forum or other where it pops up, archive the following from the
      MereLewis list:

      "The `[&$%&#&@] elf' story came from Christopher [Tolkien] himself,
      and I put it in my biography of Lewis. It was not C.S. Lewis who made
      this unmannerly interruption, but Hugo Dyson, a noisy veteran of the
      First World War who taught English at Merton college. Lewis had far
      too much generosity of spirit and far too much admiration for
      Tolkien's narrative skills to have been capable of uttering such a
      sentiment. He was always greedy for more Lord of the Rings, and it was
      largely through Lewis's encouragement that the great tale ever came to
      be finished."
      (A.N. Wilson, _The Daily Telegraph_, November 24, 2001)