[mythsoc] Article in _The New Republic_ about Tolkien

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2002
      <<Frodo is essentially a rentier, while his faithful attendant Sam Gamgee is
      all too obviously the gratifyingly loyal, deferential, and comic servant of
      Victorian fiction--Sam Weller without the panache--excluded by his class from
      more than a secondary role.>>

      Oh dear oh dear oh dear, up against the wall with Frodo!

      (I notice that the fact Sam became a Mayor and founded a line goes for

      None of =us=, of course, want to live in a "cowpat Arcadia" (a rather neat
      phrase of Mr Jenkyns) such as the Shire - or, of course, an "an emotionally
      impoverished world" (are we talking about the same book!?).

      Perish forbid.

      Diamond Proudbrook