Article in _The New Republic_ about Tolkien

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2002
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2002
        <<Frodo is essentially a rentier, while his faithful attendant Sam Gamgee is
        all too obviously the gratifyingly loyal, deferential, and comic servant of
        Victorian fiction--Sam Weller without the panache--excluded by his class from
        more than a secondary role.>>

        Oh dear oh dear oh dear, up against the wall with Frodo!

        (I notice that the fact Sam became a Mayor and founded a line goes for
        naught.)

        None of =us=, of course, want to live in a "cowpat Arcadia" (a rather neat
        phrase of Mr Jenkyns) such as the Shire - or, of course, an "an emotionally
        impoverished world" (are we talking about the same book!?).

        Perish forbid.

        Diamond Proudbrook