Re: [mythsoc] Orlando Bloom Fandom ?!?

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2002
      Michael, some of the new fans of "Tolkien" er Orlando Bloom are so strange.
      We knew the movies would take on a life of their own, but Orlando Bloom
      Fandom?

      My thoughts -

      No wonder Black Hawk Down replaced LotRs at #1. The Orlando Bloom fans found
      a new target <g>.

      I like his mohawk myself. He looks radically different in life.

      Legolas/Mr Spock - it's the pointed ears and aloofness.

      Mythically yours,

      Lisa

      michael_martinez2 wrote:

      > Well, my email overflowed this past month, and most of the extra
      > email was about the new movie starring Orlando Bloom, The Adventures
      > of Legolas. Some people still quaintly think of it as "The Lord of
      > the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring".
      >
      > Legolas, you're just so darn...CUTE!
      > http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien/

    • michael_martinez2
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@h...> wrote:
        > Michael, some of the new fans of "Tolkien" er Orlando Bloom are so
        strange.
        > We knew the movies would take on a life of their own, but Orlando
        Bloom
        > Fandom?

        I almost wish I could write about the fair-haired movie Elf every
        month. None of my Suite101 articles has proven to be anywhere near
        as popular as the two Legolas articles (I wrote one called "Speaking
        of Legolas..." a couple of years ago, and the Orly fans found it).

        This month's article is "Et tu, Faramir?" and I doubt it will
        experience anything like the reception "Legolas, you're just so
        darn...CUTE!" got.

        http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/tolkien/

        I have, btw, heard from MALE Orlando fans, elderly Orlando fans,
        indignant Aragorn fans, outraged and disappointed Boromir fans, and
        possibly even one Elijah Wood fan (I am NOT going through all that
        email again). The Orlando Bloom fans are the dominant bunch.

        But, curiously, the one LoTR movie-related page on Xenite.Org which
        gets more traffic than any of our other Tolkien sites (except for our
        movie news page) is devoted to the TRULY most popular member of the
        cast: Liv Tyler.

        Yes, on Xenite.Org, at least, Liv managed to out-perform Orlando in
        bringing in new surfers. I haven't updated our Liv Tyler page in at
        least a couple of months, but the hits keep coming.

        So, why haven't I written more about Liv and Arwen? Because her fans
        are QUIET. They don't write to me. And I guess that's fine. I'm
        sure I'd rather not have to wade through hundreds of male fantasies
        focusing on Liv.

        The Orlando phenomenon was unique (it was by no means entirely
        sexual -- at least, some of the ladies were drooling over the way he
        kills), and it was only surpassed in my recent experience by the
        outpouring of heartfelt reactions by fans of New Zealand actor Kevin
        Smith (Ares on Hercules and Xena), who recently died as a result of
        an accident on a movie set in China. We were sweating bullets over
        whether our dedicated server, which hosts a semi-official Kevin Smith
        forum, would be shut down for using too much bandwidth.

        Anyway, Liv Tyler and Kevin Smith have established fan groups. Both
        actors have been around for years, and it's shame that a great guy
        like Kevin Smith had to die so young. But the Orlando craze took the
        Internet by storm and in some ways it has only gotten stronger. I
        think his fandom will be active and visible for at least another
        couple of years, even if he does nothing else.

        One lady wrote to tell me her husband has named this new
        craze "Legolust". I think that is very apt.

        But the young guy definitely has an opportunity here. I hope he
        makes it, and turns out well for it.

        And maybe I hope he'll give me something else to write about next
        year....
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
          michael_martinez2 [michael@...] wrote:
          > And maybe I hope he'll give me something else to write about next
          > year....

          Ah, yes. I can see it now.

          The Treebeard Fan Club. Women of all ages falling down over those 'hooms.'

          <g>

          "I am always positively delighted to get feedback, even if it starts by
          identifying me as mud-sucking pond scum in the opening sentence."
          --Paul Ferris
          Currently reading: The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
            In a message dated 2/26/2002 1:07:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
            michael@... writes:

            > The Orlando Bloom fans are the dominant bunch.

            Probably true -- but there's a fandom for *every* character in the film, as
            far as I can tell. Elrond? Gandalf? They all have their adherents!

            As for "legolust," there's a yahoogroups list called that; it's become a
            common shorthand.

            I'm looking forward to reading the new article, Michael! :-)

            Susan

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
              In a message dated 2/26/02 2:07:29 AM Central Standard Time,
              michael@... writes:

              > The Orlando phenomenon was unique (it was by no means entirely
              > sexual -- at least, some of the ladies were drooling over the way he
              > kills),

              You just don't understand us ladies, Michael :)

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
                At 12:21 AM 2/26/2002 , Matthew Winslow wrote:

                >Ah, yes. I can see it now.
                >
                >The Treebeard Fan Club. Women of all ages falling down over those 'hooms.'

                Um ... you'll want to read "The Lay of Elbethril and Hornbeam" by Stephen
                Potts, in the October 1991 issue of Mythprint. Susan will _really_ want to
                read it. It's a poem describing a, um, close encounter between an
                Elf-maiden and an Ent.

                I was the editor responsible for publishing this ... thing, and it was the
                only time during my 15 years in the job that a subscriber actually tore out
                the pages and sent them back to me, so you know it's got to be good.

                Even better, I think, though on a slightly different subject, is a genuine
                scholarly article on the neglected matter of "Natural Functions in Arda" by
                Donald O'Brien, in the February 1991 issue of Mythprint.

                David Bratman
                former Mythprint editor
                not a Tolkien purist
              • SusanPal@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
                  In a message dated 2/26/2002 5:52:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  > Um ... you'll want to read "The Lay of Elbethril and Hornbeam" by Stephen
                  > Potts, in the October 1991 issue of Mythprint. Susan will _really_ want to
                  > read it. It's a poem describing a, um, close encounter between an
                  > Elf-maiden and an Ent.

                  ROFL! Oh, wonderful! Thank you for the citation! <g>

                  Susan

                • Trudy Shaw
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2002
                    >This month's article is "Et tu, Faramir?" and I doubt it will
                    experience anything like the reception "Legolas, you're just so
                    darn...CUTE!" got.

                    Michael--From the amount of _anticipatory_ drooling I've seen on some message boards over how Faramir will be portrayed in TTT, you might want to run that one again next year. Eomer's fan future is looking good, too, although he's not up there with Faramir at this point.

                    >But, curiously, the one LoTR movie-related page on Xenite.Org which
                    gets more traffic than any of our other Tolkien sites (except for our
                    movie news page) is devoted to the TRULY most popular member of the
                    cast: Liv Tyler.

                    Well, the poor guys have only one female to take their attention (since many were probably scared off by "nuclear Galadriel"). For the women, OTOH, there is an embarrassment of riches.
                    --Trudy

                  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2002
                      In a message dated 02/27/02 9:15:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      tgshaw@... writes:

                      << Michael--From the amount of _anticipatory_ drooling I've seen on some
                      message boards over how Faramir will be portrayed in TTT, you might want to
                      run that one again next year. Eomer's fan future is looking good, too,
                      although he's not up there with Faramir at this point. >>

                      I hope so. Boromir was the only guy I thought was all that cute. And I
                      didn't even like him at all in the book.

                      << Well, the poor guys have only one female to take their attention (since
                      many were probably scared off by "nuclear Galadriel"). For the women, OTOH,
                      there is an embarrassment of riches. >>

                      ROFL! Too funny!

                      Lizzie
                    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2002
                        In a message dated 02/26/02 7:51:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        dbratman@... writes:

                        << Um ... you'll want to read "The Lay of Elbethril and Hornbeam" by Stephen
                        Potts, in the October 1991 issue of Mythprint. Susan will _really_ want to
                        read it. It's a poem describing a, um, close encounter between an
                        Elf-maiden and an Ent. >>

                        So, um, how does one get a copy of this distinguished issue?

                        Lizzie
                      • David S. Bratman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 27, 2002
                          At 11:53 AM 2/27/2002 , Lizzie wrote:
                          >In a message dated 02/26/02 7:51:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          >dbratman@... writes:
                          >
                          ><< Um ... you'll want to read "The Lay of Elbethril and Hornbeam" by Stephen
                          > Potts, in the October 1991 issue of Mythprint. Susan will _really_ want to
                          > read it. It's a poem describing a, um, close encounter between an
                          > Elf-maiden and an Ent. >>
                          >
                          >So, um, how does one get a copy of this distinguished issue?

                          From the Mythopoeic Society's fabulous Back Orders Department, of course!
                          See our website at www.mythsoc.org.

                          David Bratman
                        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 27, 2002
                            In a message dated 02/27/02 3:15:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            dbratman@... writes:

                            <<
                            From the Mythopoeic Society's fabulous Back Orders Department, of course!
                            See our website at www.mythsoc.org. >>

                            Thanks. I think I need to renew also. Any other recommendations while
                            you're at it? lol

                            Lizzie